Home Open Account Help 251 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Zen and the art of railfanning

Date: 09/01/14 22:56
Zen and the art of railfanning
Author: Railpax71

Kiryu, Gunma, Japan where I live is served by four railroads--JR, Tobu, Watarase, and Jomo. I had not ridden the Jomo Electric Railway before, but had a need to run an errand at a station near the Maebashi terminus, which was the perfect reason to try this rural line. I was intrigued by one of the stations named Zen. Unfortunately the Kanji characters on the station were not what comes to mind when you hear Zen.

1. We caught the train at Nishi-Kiryu station, the terminus of the 25 kilometer line in downtown Kiryu.
2. The ticket machine out of order so we bought from the agent the old fashioned way.
3. The Jomo operates two car EMUs on a very frequent headway. This train is approaching Akagi where there is a transfer to the Tobu or Watarase Railroads.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/14 01:00 by Railpax71.

Date: 09/01/14 23:01
Re: Zen and the art of railfanning

4. The Jomo makes one stop after leaving Nishi-Kiryu and crosses the Watarase River on this trestle.
5. Ah the simplicity of train travel. Actually it is. Japanese bus use the same system. At the un-staffed stations you grab a number as you board. As the train moves along the line, the board shows your fare from the station you boarded. You pay as you leave, or in our case, show the tickets.
6. The Hiragana says Zen, but the Kanji has nothing to do with concentration and meditation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/14 23:31 by Railpax71.

Date: 09/01/14 23:06

7. The Jomo meanders along the base of Mt. Akagi through farms and rice fields with 22 stations.
8. The train was not as empty as this picture depicts. One car is reserved for bicycles and everyone was forward where the train doors open.
9. Ogo station is the location of an aquarium hence the water theme. These models depict some EMUs that still come out on special occasions.

Date: 09/01/14 23:12

10. One of the Jomo trainsets in the aquarium theme.
11. Our return train arriving at Kami-izumi for the trip back to Nishi-Kiryu.
12. Corn fields and Akagiyama.

Date: 09/02/14 08:44
Author: YG

Nice!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 09/02/14 11:06
Author: Latebeans

I love the stamps in photo two. Very basic but they never "go down" either. Thanks for the postings.

Date: 09/02/14 12:34
Author: MEKoch

In this "modern" world the ticket agent would say: I am sorry, but the computer is down and I have no way to issue you a ticket. (Likely the company would have removed all stamps and any possible manual ticketing). And even more likely is that the agent does not know how to do manual ticketing. "Gee, I haven't done this in years. I saw someone do this about five years ago....."

Date: 09/02/14 15:01
Author: PERichardson

And everything looks to be spotless

Date: 09/04/14 14:01
Author: cchan006

masterphots Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And everything looks to be spotless

Jomo Line's train sets, the Keio 3000 series EMUs were originally manufactured in the 1960s, and ran on the Keio Inokashira Line in Tokyo. They were the second stainless steel sets manufactured in Japan, after the Tokyu 7000 series EMUs. Tokyu Sharyo (who manufactured both sets) obtained licenses from Budd Co. to manufacture both sets, so there's a bit of an American connection here.

Great to see something almost half-century old, and still be spotless.

What's unique about the Keio 3000 series was that Keio Railway decided give each train set a unique color around the cab area for publicity purposes, and the railfans loved it. You can see the differences in images #3, #10, and #11, and for #3 and #11, those are the original colors Keio Railway used when these train sets were busy in Tokyo hauling commuters, college students, and aspiring artists between Kichijoji and Shibuya. There's at least one Japanese Pop song that sings about the Keio Inokashira Line.

Thanks Railpax71, for the usual great report from Japan! I believe the kanji for Zen used here describes a table set for serving food. Sometimes, I see this Zen used in menus at restaurants in Japan.

Date: 09/04/14 20:22
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

cchan006 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ....Great to see something almost half-century old,
> and still be spotless.
>
Ouch! I brushed, showered, shaved & laundered this AM.

Date: 09/04/14 22:04

Yes, the literal translation of the kanji zen used at this station is a meal set, e.g. bento tray with many items. Commonly you will see this on menus. (edit) Non railroad related wife and mother-in-law educated me on at least 3 other ways zen refers to food or service items at dinner. Curious how this station got its name.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/14 03:22 by Railpax71.

Date: 09/07/14 13:01
Author: dan

very nice

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0554 seconds