Home Open Account Help 283 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Akagi Tozan Railway archeology

Date: 09/23/14 16:07
Akagi Tozan Railway archeology
Author: Railpax71

After visiting the former upper terminus of the Akagi Tozan Railway, and armed with more information provided here on TO, we visited the former lower terminus located at now Riheijaya Forest park near Kiryu, Gunma, Japan. The Akagi Tozan Railway is a funicular built by the Tobu Company to access their ski area at the top of Akagi park in 1959. It only lasted until 1968 and these are the ruins we explored.

1. The line follows a cascading stream up the mountain. At one point crossing on a truss bridge.
2. The Wikipedia article claims the station building exists--this looks like a reconstructed shelter on the concrete slab of the old station.
3. These wide stairs are in the loading area for the cars.

Date: 09/23/14 16:12
Re: Akagi Tozan Railway archeology

We hiked up the grade from the old boarding area. The left hand side going up had narrow concrete steps built in.

4. Cross tie
5. Stamp nail. Is 3156 a sequence number for the individual tie? Showa 31 is not 1956.
6. A section showing ties and remaining rail fasteners.

Date: 09/23/14 16:16

7. Bracket for a non existant pole
8. Not a trestle but an anchor for the whole track system.
9. Remaining pole.

Date: 09/30/14 21:27
Author: cchan006

Railpax71 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We hiked up the grade from the old boarding area.
> The left hand side going up had narrow concrete
> steps built in.
>
> 4. Cross tie
> 5. Stamp nail. Is 3156 a sequence number for the
> individual tie? Showa 31 is not 1956.
> 6. A section showing ties and remaining rail
> fasteners.

Actually, Showa 31 is 1956, so I suspect it is the date stamp on the nail. It's common in Japan to use both the Japanese year (based on the Emperor) and Gregorian Calendar year.

Combining a hiking trip with some railroad archaeology sounds like fun!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/14 21:30 by cchan006.

Date: 10/04/14 16:37

Next trip I've found the trail that will take you just above the point where the hourglass and truss spans crossing the stream are located.

Mental math error. The date nail is indeed 31=1956. Converting from my birthday all the times I've written Japanese forms. The tie would be very early in the construction of the railroad, or stock material requisitioned for the project as built. I notice some features which I need to compare to other Tobu lines.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0546 seconds