Home Open Account Help 291 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Tokyo in Direct Path of Typhoon #18

Date: 10/05/14 16:37
Tokyo in Direct Path of Typhoon #18
Author: cchan006

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/10/06/national/strong-typhoon-bearing-tokyo-area/#.VDHPdC10-eU

I'm in Japan currently, getting ready to ride out a typhoon on a direct path to Tokyo. It's equivalent to either a Category 1 or 2 hurricane right now. Along with cancellations of some Shinkansens mentioned in the above link, surface trains in Tokyo are experiencing about 20-40% reduction in services as reported live by the various mass media outlets as I type this. Delays experienced by the operating trains are up to 30 minutes.

The sleeper train I often use to travel to western Japan, the Sunrise Limited Express was cancelled last night, but that was not a big loss, since many businesses, including railroad museums were going to close today in anticipation of the typhoon anyhow.

The rainfall is heavy, but the wind hasn't picked up yet, about 8:30 am local time. I expect that to change pretty soon. I figure I'd post a semi-realtime report, instead of after the fact, to make it a little more interesting.

FYI, there have been major cancellations by the airlines, between 250-300 flights each for Japan Airlines (JAL) and All Nippon Airlines (ANA). This is a nod to TO members who always tout how superior rail travel is compared to air travel in foul weather. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/14 16:38 by cchan006.

Date: 10/06/14 05:33
Re: Tokyo in Direct Path of Typhoon #18
Author: nm2320

Have underground portions of subway lines and underground portions of suburban lines closed as a precaution to flooding?

Date: 10/06/14 09:16
Re: Tokyo in Direct Path of Typhoon #18
Author: cchan006

nm2320 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have underground portions of subway lines and
> underground portions of suburban lines closed as a
> precaution to flooding?

In Tokyo, the subway lines seemed to have stayed in operation, with possible delays and reduction in services. I did see a specific announcement on the surface portion of Tokyo Metro's Tozai Line for service disruptions due to high winds.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0343 seconds