Home Open Account Help 313 users online

International Railroad Discussion > The FCAB before Christmas

Date: 12/25/14 10:36
The FCAB before Christmas
Author: 86235

On December 12th my partner and I flew to Chile to explore the wondrous Torres del Paine National Park in Chile's XII Region, Magallanes, which is in the far south of the country. As a complete contrast we spent the final few days in Antofagasta and Calama, driving along the improved Highway 20 to Ollague on the border with Bolivia before returning to London yesterday, Christmas Eve.

On Saturday 20th a GR12 is switching sulphuric acid tank cars at Mejillones, some 60 kms north of Antofagasta.

The following day 2406, an extensively rebuilt ex-FNC (Colombia) GR12 approaching Ollague at 1:30 p.m. on the San Cristobal mine empties.

Whilst driving back to Antofagasta on Monday 22nd we came across two meets, on both occasions the eastbound was passed by two westbounds. At the first meet, at Pampa Union, an abandoned nitrate 'oficina' between Carmen Alto and Serra Gorda, the eastbound pulls in behind a trio of units led by a former CN NF210 from Newfoundland.

I have been extraordinarily lucky to have been able to visit Chile as frequently as I have, I think the FCAB is a very special operation, well worth seeking out if you can.

The rest of my pictures are at:
http://www.nick86235.smugmug.com.

May I wish all of you at Trainorders a very Happy Christmas and best wishes for 2015.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/14 10:41 by 86235.

Date: 12/25/14 12:22
Re: The FCAB before Christmas
Author: retcsxcfm

WOW! Nice shots in a desolate area.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 12/26/14 08:18

retcsxcfm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice shots in a desolate area.

Thanks

Date: 12/27/14 05:57
Author: E25

I was very impressed with your "SmugMug" listings.

Thanks for taking the time to set it up and share your images.

-- Greg

Date: 12/27/14 07:21

Thanks Greg

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds