Home Open Account Help 378 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Questions About Australian Passenger Service

Date: 02/28/15 15:48
Questions About Australian Passenger Service
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

I'm planning a trip to Australia later this year and have a few questions about rail passenger service in that country.

Are there specific passenger routes that may be threatened with discontinuance due to poor patronage or other issues? If so, what are those routes and can they be rated as to which one(s) may get the axe first?

I'd like to ride the Gulflander and Savannahlander, with the perception that those may not last long, but a colleague said now that they've been turned into semi-tourist attractions, they may have a bright future whilst some of the other routes in Queensland may be more in jeopardy.

What part of Australia offers the best scenery?

Are there any trains featuring dutch doors that would assist in photography?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/15 16:37 by CA_Sou_MA_Agent.

Date: 02/28/15 21:41
Re: Questions About Australian Passenger Service
Author: ROKERROBOT

Two trains that are under threat in Australia are Queensland Railways Inlander and Westlander service -both trains have become sitting car only, both used to have sleepers and diners , The Westlander runs from Brisbane to Charleville and return and the Inlander runs to Mt Isa from Townsville -they are not daily trains . The Savannah lander and the Gulflander are tourist trains and are under no threat as is the Kuranda Tourist train from Cairns . Queensland Rail is introducing a brand new diesel tilt train that will run from Brisbane to Cairns that will replace a conventional train that ran for over 50 yrs called the Sunlander , the most senic part of the trip is between Mackay and Cairns , sugar cane fields and a tropical enviroment close to the coast .
Here in Nsw where i live , the XPTS that run the major routes are overdue for replacement ,they are based on a British high speed design of the seventies, because passenger rail is funded by the state govt funds are hard to find to replace equipment , roads and highways get the money . The pass trains between Brisbane and Melbourne use Xpts that run mainly at night , a XPT runs out to Dubbo and back as well . All are services long distant services use railcars called explorers .I am going to Sydney next friday from Tamworth on the daily explorer rail service and will return on sunday , i always enjoy the trip . All mainland capitol cities in Australia except Darwin and Canberra have a good modern suburban/commuter service.
The trip from Perth to Adelaide on the Indian pacific is enjoyable , the Nullabor Plain crossing part of the trip has always fasinated me . The Ghan is another train i must ride one day . The XPTS and explorers and tilt trains don't have dutch doors , the IP and Ghan might , safety is big issue in Oz the doors only are opened at station stops , you would need to ask the on board crew about using the doors on Great Southern Railway operated trains.
Happy travelling.
Grambo.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0355 seconds