Home Open Account Help 398 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Boxcar Question - Vietnam

Date: 02/28/15 17:08
Boxcar Question - Vietnam
Author: lynnpowell

I have watched a whole bunch of Vietnam railroad videos on "YT" (yes, there are Vietnamese railfans posting their videos to YT!). Showing up often in the videos are modern boxcars that are green with yellow stripes at one end (they are running on meter-gauge track). They appear to have eight-digit numbers. I have seen what appears to be the same exact "model" of boxcar (same construction and same paint scheme) in trains in Chinese railroad videos (standard gauge track) and in trains in Russian railroad videos (5-ft gauge track). Are these boxcars being used in international traffic, with them just changing out the trucks at the border crossings to fit the track gauge of the country that they are enterind? I've also noticed flat cars and bi-level autoracks on the Vietnamese freight trains that are wider than the normal Vietnamese freight cars, and I am wondering if they are carrying cargo down from China, or even Russia.

Date: 03/01/15 13:24
Re: Boxcar Question - Vietnam
Author: DKay

They could very well be changing out the trucks at border crossings,it was a common practice here in Australia before the standard gauge got out of New South Wales.
Regards,dK

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0326 seconds