Home Open Account Help 317 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Another South Aussie Video

Date: 03/02/15 00:08
Another South Aussie Video
Author: AussieGWAdriver

Hi all,

Another video with some Genesee & Wyoming grain services plus the special run of English Electric unit, 801 out on the main line so it could be turned.

Enjoy.

Justin

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/03/15 16:05
Re: Another South Aussie Video
Author: spdaylight

Very interesting . . and sad to see that taggers aren't only evident in North America . . . geesh!

Craig
http://mcmrailvideos.com/

Date: 03/05/15 04:30
Author: jmbreitigan

Very nice and congratulations on VOTD.
John

Date: 03/05/15 09:50
Author: glcaddis

How come we can't have good looking road engines like this? Who is the maker? Are the cabs taken from retired car-body units?

Date: 03/05/15 10:24
Author: tomstp

I think those "F" or "E" looking units are old and have been modified on their roofs. Somebody tell me if I am wrong. And, they sound like non tubro 645's in the engine rooms.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/15 10:32 by tomstp.

Date: 03/05/15 10:58
Author: EtoinShrdlu

Try here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_Railways_GM_class

Date: 03/05/15 11:55
Author: SI-Tower

Great video!!

Date: 03/05/15 15:51
Author: srman

Fantastic video! I just wish Australia wasn't so far away from here in the U.S.A. Midwest. Thanks for sharing your railfan efforts from that part of the world.

Date: 03/05/15 18:10
Author: HomerBedloe

Wimpy horns, but great looking and sounding locos! Thanks much for these "down under" posts - I've enjoyed every one of them. Wish we could get some designers at EMD or GE to think "retro" (hey, look how well retro muscle cars did when Chevy and Dodge started remaking them!).

Great videos, congrats on VOD, and please post more!

Date: 03/06/15 03:20

Thanks everyone.

The CL's as they were originally classed as were built by Clyde Engineering/EMD between 1970 and 1972 for the Commonwealth Railways. These were the model AT26C powered by a 16-645E3, AR10 alternator and D77 traction motors - an SD40 inside. They were later taken into Australian National ownership in 1975. In 1992 AN had them rebuilt by Morrison Knudsen at Whyalla, South Australia with upgraded cabs, engines and electronics. The mods were desktop controls 26L brake replaced by 30CDW, MK Loc wheel slip controls, traction motors upgraded to D78 and the engines to E3C specs. 7 were rebuilt into the CLF class model AT26C-2M while 10 were rebuilt into the CLP class model AT26HC-2M. These were fitted with a pair of Cummins-Onan HEP sets for use on passenger trains. 16 of the units passed into ownership of Genesee and Wyoming in 1997 (CLP15 scrapped after a wreck). In 2006, ARG/GWA split up with ARG taking ownership of 10 units which are now up for sale and GWA holding on to CLF5, CLF6, CLP8, CLP14, CLP16, CLP17. Over time all had the MK Loc microprocessor controls replaced by the Nexsys-ZTR system except CLF2 which has the Wabtec QES 3 system.

Cheers,
Justin

Date: 03/06/15 03:33

Some photos of the CLP's inside the cab and of the MK engine plate.

Justin

Date: 03/07/15 12:44
Author: SD70M

Thanks, more great videos. The 801 looks similar to a BR Class 20, and sure sounds like one!

Date: 03/08/15 04:48

Thanks again.

801 was part of the 10 unit 800 class built by English Electric in Rocklea, Queensland between 1956-57 for the South Australian Railways. They were all retired between 1988 and 1991 with only 801 surviving. The rest were all scrapped by 1994. They are powered by a EE 6SRKT engine for about 800hp. From memory the Class 20's have the 8SVT Mk II.

Cheers,
Justin

Date: 03/09/15 17:47
Author: DrLoco

I see a lot of things I recognize, and some that I don't as an engineer here in the US. I like the stainless steel cab desktop. Ours are this strange plastic material that seems to never get clean (regardless of how many disinfecting wipes I use). I really appreciate you putting the time into these videos--I hope Genesee & Wyoming brings one of those bulldogs here stateside one day just for fun...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0561 seconds