Home Open Account Help 252 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Travel Germany to Ukraine

Date: 03/03/15 22:59
Travel Germany to Ukraine
Author: wa4umr

I don't usually hang around the International forum. I searched back a few months but didn't find anything that would help me. In October I will be in Europe on a tour that ends in Munich. I have some friends in Kyiv, Ukraine and they have invited to visit them while I'm "in the neighborhood." If I go, and I haven't decided yet, I figure I could either fly or go by train, that is, I could see the towns from 30,000 feet or 5 feet.

So here's the question. What can I expect? What kind of facilities and equipment? And what suggestions ca you give me? I've been on trains in Japan and Korea but that's been years ago. Never been to Europe. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Date: 03/04/15 02:42
Re: Travel Germany to Ukraine
Author: 86235

According to www.bahn.com you can leave Munich on five separate departures, the e2e journey taking between 30 and 40 hours depending on the route and number of changes. Looks like all routes take you through Austria and Hungary, entering Ukraine at Chop.

As an example; you leave Munich on the overnight train to Budapest, arriving in Kiev on the second morning, after another overnight journey from Lvov.

This is the overnight Munich to Budapest train (EN463) shot in March last year in Hungary.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/15 03:10 by 86235.

Date: 03/04/15 02:58
Author: andersonb109

Boggie change also at Chop. There are these new fangled contraptions called airplanes. You can be in Kiev from Frankfurt or Amsterdam in 2.5 hours. Once there, check out the railway museum at the main station.

Date: 03/04/15 03:45
Author: GettingShort

A roundabout but interesting route to Kiev would be via Bucharest, Romania, the overnight train to Chisinau, Moldova and then either directly to Kiev on one of three daily trains between Chisinau and Kiev-Moscow. These are all overnight taking approx 29 hours, use standard Russian Ammendorf type rolling stock, very solid and comfortable. Or the morning train from Chisinau via Transnistria, stop get off in Tiraspol and contact with Tim from Tiraspol Hostel and have a great experience in this very interesting left over of the Soviet Union. There are several overnight trains between Odessa and Kiev.
While you're in Kiev sign up for a tour of Chernobyl.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk2UuYJ1

Date: 03/04/15 10:59
Author: 86235

The best way of evaluating the rail options would be to buy a copy of the European Rail Timetable and then you can plan to your heart's content.

http://www.europeanrailtimetable.eu/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/15 10:59 by 86235.

Date: 03/04/15 18:01
Author: jobrazy

I have spent a lot of time there.

The German stations are architectural masterpieces. Frankfurt Main is one of the largest stations in Europe, and Cologne is stunning. Die Bahn (Duetsche Bahn) is the regional country wide rail, and each city had their own metro consisting of light street trolleys and/or underground subways. Strasbourg is not to be missed from trains to architecture. It was fought over by the Germans and French for centuries. The restored stations in Berlin are also equally as stunning.

The German rail system is exceptional. Buy your tickets in country to save money and tourist fees, your debit and credit cards will all work. It's a train riding delight, enjoy it!

Ukraine on the other hand is a mess at best for transportation. Not recommended. In addition the risky political environment is a powder keg. They also drink to excess while driving,,walking, everywhere. Not impressed.

Joel Brazy
Coatesville, PA

Date: 03/04/15 20:43
Author: jfrank39

Try the 'man in seat 61' web site. http://www.seat61.com/

Date: 03/05/15 12:39
Author: chs7-321

Some rail options:

- Munich to Warsaw and then to Kiev via the daily Kiev-Express. This goes via the Dorohusk-Yagodin crossing.
- There is a possibility of going via Bratislava. The dept is at 6 am, and is a day trip across Slovakia to Chop, then the through car is attached to an overnight train to Kiev.
- You can also go to Budapest, and then to Kiev via the daily Budapest-Lviv-Kiev train (which replaced the suspended Budapest-Moscow "Tissa"). This also goes via Chop.
- Another option is to go via Wroclaw/Krakow, overnight train to Lvov (this goes via Przemysl/Mostiska), and then multiple options to Kiev from there. From "high-speed" trains that take 5 hours, to overnight expresses (I recommend Train 91/92, which departs Lvov at 11 pm, and arrives in Kiev before 7 am. It allows a full day in Lvov, a very nice city).

- the direct daily Berlin-Kiev train was unexpectedly withdrawn in fall of 2012. Follow up news stories point to breakdown in communication between DB and UZ, poor technical condition of UZ's RIC sleepers, and an impression that DB in fact did more work to try to retain it then UZ, who did not reply to German requests).

If traveling on domestic night trains in Ukraine, expect pretty civilized conditions. Try to grab "Soft" (Lux) class if you can. Cheap by Western standards, two beds per compartment, pleasant.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0504 seconds