Home Open Account Help 312 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Korean National Railway - steam

Date: 03/08/15 12:13
Korean National Railway - steam
Author: NS4271

Photo I took near Inchon, South Korea while serving there in the US Army in 1963.

Date: 03/09/15 21:44
Re: Korean National Railway - steam
Author: Ardenwood

Thank you for sharing the rare photograph. Correct me if I am wrong. The plate reads like "Pashi5 24." If I am right, the engine was known before 1945 as Pashiko24, or Pacific (4-6-2) 5th (version)(road number)24. Its sister engine Pashi5 23 is preserved in the Korea National Railway Museum at Suwon, south of Seoul. The rightmost top plates belonged to the preserved sister engine, the round one in the center front of the smoke box and the long ones on the sides of the cab.

If my ID is right it is one of the last engines made in this class, the Quonset-Hut shaped steam dome being the tell-tale sign. Early ones looked like helmets. These engines made in Japan were seen on the point of "international" crack trains between Pusan (then Japan) and Peking (China) going through Manchukuo.

Date: 03/13/15 10:52

You may be interested in the early photographs of Pacific-5's. Mostly with elephant ears and shield from the stack to the cab(the pen drawing is my feeble attempt), a feature in the GS4's of the SP and some Russian engines like P36.

Date: 03/14/15 14:20

A bit of useless comment: the picture with two engines has the plates in the Japanese kana writing and the low road numbers, elephant ears, and the shield suggesting exclusive use for fast passenger service before 1945, when Japanese was used. The first picture shows Korean Hangul writing. The higher road number, tender-first operation and Quonset-hut type dome suggest demotion to local switching.

The last picture is an example of Russian P36.

Date: 03/19/15 15:23
Author: wa4umr

They were using some steam in 1970 when I was there. I was on TDY for 3 days and didn't get to do any railfanning while there except while waiting for a train between Teague and Seoul. We got to the station about 10 minutes before our train and I was 2 steam locomotives shifting some freight near the station. We got to Seoul and headed on our way. The guys I was with had no interest in trains and we had business to take care of.

John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0447 seconds