Home Open Account Help 385 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Steam in New Delhi, 1992

Date: 04/12/15 20:20
Steam in New Delhi, 1992
Author: lee_uintah

These three clips are from February 8, 1992, at the Patel Nagar station in New Delhi, India.

clip 1) steam powered passenger train, leaving Delhi southwest bound;diesel powered passenger train coming into Delhi; diesel powered goods train, leaving Delhi headed south; and the fourth segment is a steam powered passenger train coming into Delhi.

clip 2) steam powered work train, with engine running reverse, pulling work cars and crane, headed north into downtown Delhi; you get a very short glimpse into the open firebox.

clip 3) a steam powered passenger train stops on its way into Delhi; a diesel powered passenger train heads SW out of Delhi.

I hope you enjoy this look back.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/13/15 14:13
Re: Steam in New Delhi, 1992
Author: tomstp

Was the first steam engine a 3 cylinder?

Date: 04/14/15 16:54

I don't remember for sure, but I do not think so.

Date: 04/14/15 21:05
Author: airbrakegeezer

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was the first steam engine a 3 cylinder?
No, all steam locos shown were Indian Railways Standard meter-gauge types, either YP (4-6-2) or YG (2-8-2), and these are both two-cylinder locomotives. I think the first locomotive's valve event settings were way off, which could have caused the strange "beat". The YP (Y= meter gauge, P= "passenger") and YG (Y=meter gauge, G="goods", i.e. freight) types make use of many common components (including, I think, the boiler), so that the main differences are the wheel arrangement and driver diameter, and it is hard to differentiate the two in these videos because of the the camera angles and the lighting.

A point of interest: Indian Railways do not call the meter gauge "narrow gauge", as this term is reserved for gauges of less than 1 meter, such as 2' and 2' 6", once fairly common in India. Broad, or "wide" gauge is 5' 6" and meter gauge is called just that. The first letter of an "Indian Standard"  locomotive's class designates the track gauge: W for wide, Y for meter and Z for narrow.

Roger Lewis (airbrakegeezer) 

Date: 04/14/15 21:27

Thank you for the explanations and clarifications!
Lee

Date: 04/26/15 19:46
Author: atsf121

Cool stuff, how late did steam operate in India? Where they coal or oil fired?

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/30/15 16:09

Nathan,
I left Delhi in 1992, shortly after I took these videos (moved to Europe).  I don't know exactly how much longer steam was used in India.  When I visited Delhi again in 2002, I did not see any operating steam locomotives.
Perhaps someone else knows how long steam was used regularly.
I am ready to post a few more steam and overloaded passenger trains in Delhi in 1992.  I'll get them posted as soon as I can.
Lee

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/15 16:12 by lee_uintah.

Date: 05/02/15 10:24
Author: darkcloud

lee_uintah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am ready to post a few more steam and overloaded
> passenger trains in Delhi in 1992.  I'll get them
> posted as soon as I can.
> Lee

Please post them in this thread instead of 24 different threads for a location/topic.

Date: 05/09/15 08:57

Here come three more clips, in this thread, from February 1992.  Location is the town of Bijwasan, about 10 miles southwest of New Delhi, Inida, on the line to Jaipur.  The track is meter gauge.  Engines are diesel and steam.

clip 1, February 9: three steam powered passenger trains (2:58)
clip 2, February 15: steam passenger meets diesel goods (1:05)
clip 3, February 15: two diesel powered passenger trains (1:05)

Enjoy this look back to 1992!

Date: 05/09/15 09:27

Here come three more clips for today, in this thread, from February 1992.  Location is the town of Bijwasan, about 10 miles southwest of New Delhi, India, on the line to Jaipur.

clip 4, February 15: Diesel goods and passenger; steam passenger; demonstration of meter gauge (2:30)
clip 5, February 15: Two diesel goods trains (2:22) 
clip 6, February 15: Steam powered passenger train departs Bijwasan, headed southwest toward Jaipur (1:18) 

Enjoy this look back to 1992!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/15 12:00 by lee_uintah.

Date: 05/09/15 16:08

Here are two more clips for your viewing:

First: Four steam powered passenger trains, two of which come to a station stop, then move on.  The dates are February 29, 1992 and March 2, 1992, on the southwest side of New Delhi, India.  The first two trains are at Bijwasan, and the second two trains are in the Shahabad Mohammadpur station.

Second: One steam powered passenger train, then a diesel goods train, followed by two diesel passenger trains.  Location is Bijwasan, on the Northern Railways outside Delhi.

Date: 06/12/15 05:02
Author: 86235

Really enjoyable watching these. I plan to ride the route from Delhi to Jaipur in December, but I guess it won't looking anything like your film - re-gauged from metre to broad and electrified, or at least with electrification underway. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2468 seconds