Home Open Account Help 376 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Quick Shinjuku Railfanning (Japan)

Date: 06/01/15 21:23
Quick Shinjuku Railfanning (Japan)
Author: cchan006

While waiting for JR Freight Train #3086 to show up, I recorded some video clips from the north end of Shinjuku Station from one of the platforms. Last year, I recorded from the south end using an elevated angle:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?6,3715328

In the first clip, a Shonan-Shinjuku Line (湘南新宿線) E231 Series EMU is departing toward Ikebukro and meets a Saikyo Line (埼京線) E233 Series EMU coming into Shinjuku. The double-decker cars on the E231 are First Class "Green" cars.

In the second clip, a Saikyo Line 205 Series EMU is departing Shinjuku. 205 Series EMUs were designed and manufactured in the government-run JNR era, so they are about 30 years old. They are slowly being replaced on the Saikyo Line by the E233s, so they are getting attention by railfans in Japan lately. I was fortunate enough to ride this one from Omiya. A major hint of its age is the classic pantograph on the train, while most other EMUs seen in this video has the more modern single arm pantographs. Outbound E233 EMU Chuo Line Rapid (中央線快速) races the 205 out of Shinjuku Station to end the clip.

Chuo Line Limited Express Super Azusa #15 departs Shinjuku to start the third clip, using the tilt-technology E351 EMU. E351s have been in service since 1994, so it is already 20 years old. Next, Chuo Line Rapid E233 EMU shows up and blocks my view of the E351. Few seconds later, you see the Yamanote Line (山手線) E231 EMUs meet in the distance.

FYI, the signals are flashing because of my video camera. They don't flash like that when viewed with naked eyes.

- 205 Series EMU departing Shinjuku.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/04/15 04:45
Re: Quick Shinjuku Railfanning (Japan)
Author: acltrainman

Some really nice videos. Thanks for sharing. The nice thing is how clean  and modern everything looks. No trash or litter around the tracks.

Stanley Jackowski
Valrico, FL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0434 seconds