Home Open Account Help 321 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Hokuriku Shinkansen Joyride (Japan)

Date: 06/19/15 18:09
Hokuriku Shinkansen Joyride (Japan)
Author: cchan006

A new Shinkansen Line started revenue service this year. On March 14th, the Hokuriku Shinkansen (北陸新幹線) extended the existing Nagano Shinkansen (長野新幹線) by ~345 km (215 miles) and now serves the two major cities in the Hokuriku region along the Japan Sea, Toyama (富山) and Kanazawa (金沢).

While Kanazawa is the current terminus, construction for the next extension is already under way, to Tsuruga (敦賀) scheduled completion around 2023. Before the line can reach Kyoto from Tsuruga, however, there's a mountain pass to deal with, where the current non-HSR rail line makes a loop through the mountains. The routing is undecided between the east or west shore of Lake Biwa. Hokuriku Line (北陸本線), the east shore is the closest route to connect with the Tokaido Shinkansen at Maibara (米原). Kosei Line (湖西線), the west shore is almost a straight shot to Kyoto.

After catching Doctor Yellow, I returned to Tokyo to meet my brother, who had a JR Rail Pass marathon trip planned to visit all four of Japan's main islands in a week. More on that later. After completing a trip to northern Japan, including Hokkadio, we embarked on a Hokuriku Shinkansen trip from Tokyo where we went to Osaka the "back way" via the Japan Sea side.

First clip is at Tokyo Station. First Hokuriku Shinkansen of the morning, Kagayaki #501 is arriving. It runs on the fastest schedule, taking 2 hours and 10 minutes to Toyama, our first destination. This train skips the popular stops like Takasaki (高崎) and Karuizawa (軽井沢). 6:16 am departure out of Tokyo.

Second clip is just past Karuizawa, where I enjoy a view of Mount Asama (浅間山). The Asama service on the Nagano/Hokuriku Shinkansen is named after this volcano, which is still active.

Kagayaki #501 is departing Nagano in the third clip. This was my first time riding past Nagano to the north/east, so I got my camcorder out to record the ride. It turned out better than I thought, so I added this clip in the video. Note the Nagano Factory/Facility in this clip. This is where old railcars and locomotives get scrapped. The view of the mountains in the distance is nice, looking toward Gunma Prefecture (群馬県).

I've reached the Japan Sea side in the fourth clip, and I get a glimpse of the Japan Alps in this clip. This is past Itoigawa (糸魚川). In fifth clip, I get a glimpse of the Japan Sea.

I'm arriving in Toyama in the sixth clip. You can hear the noisy brakes of the Shinkansen E7 at the end of the clip. In the seventh clip, I watch Kagayaki #501 depart Toyama.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.03 seconds