Home Open Account Help 322 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Toyama Streetcar & Light Rail (Japan)

Date: 06/19/15 20:35
Toyama Streetcar & Light Rail (Japan)
Author: cchan006

N scale modelers have seen Toyama Light Rail models on sale for a few years now. They might even know its nickname, Portram.

Before the Portram began service in 2006, the line was operated by JR West using regular EMUs. It was called the Toyama Port Line (富山港線). When JR West decided to abandon the line, it was converted to light rail service, more or less following the original ROW to Port of Toyama.

I was expecting to see the Portram when I arrived in Toyama after joyriding the Hokuriku Shinkansen, but when I took the south exit, I saw something different, the Toyama Streetcars. The streetcar began service way back in 1913, and at its peak in 1960s, had 12 lines. It survived the massive streetcar abandonment era, with only 3 lines remaining today, but patronage seems pretty good. N scale modelers might be aware of Centram, which runs on the streetcar side of Toyama.

In the first clip, I rush in position to get a quick video of the 7000 series Toyama Streetcar departing and meeting a newer 8000 series. The 7000 series got stuck behind a red light, so I got in position to record a meet of the 7000 series in the second clip.

I walked to the other side of Toyama station, north exit, and found the Toyama Light Rail. In the third clip, yellow Portram is arriving. In the fourth and fifth clips, the green Portram is departing.

My brother and I had to hop on the next Shinkansen to Kanazawa, so I didn't wait for the red Portram (the color I wanted to see), or the Centram (9000 series) on the streetcar side. I think Toyama is a charming enough city to warrant a return visit, so maybe next time.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/21/15 09:28
Re: Toyama Streetcar & Light Rail (Japan)
Author: Steinzeit

Wow, something [ rail-related ] in Japan that didn't change after forty three years !!  Here's 7018, a car you photographed, together with a sister, both more or less in front of the main station;  the only big change looks like the addition of air conditioning.

(3) This shot is something that did go away, in 1980 I believe:  The Shasui Line of Toyama District Railway [ Chitetsu, who also operate the streetcar line ] from Shin-Toyama ( on the west side of the river ).  This line ran up to and then along the coast to a ferry connection with the Kaetsuno Rwy to Takaoka;  the latter still exists in some form.

More to come.......

Date: 06/21/15 09:49
Author: Steinzeit

Regarding the Port Line:  In 1972 this was still a JNR branch, one of those DC islands along an otherwise AC main line.  Typical of the service was motor 73 305 and control trailer 79 244.  In those days the line left the station eastward parallel to the main line and then turned north to the port area.  The new light rail line starts at "the rear" of the station and proceeds north on the centre reservation a few blocks and then makes a right angle turn, running east until it meets the old ROW, where it makes a 90 deg left.  [ I had to look at a Toyama map last night to understand this, of course.]

(6) is a perfect-for-branch lines combine, with baggage/RPO/passenger accommodation all in one car;  as I recall JNR had about fifty of these, and built almost 100 dmu's with this configuration.

Best regards, SZ

Date: 06/22/15 20:50
Author: cchan006

Steinzeit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (3) This shot is something that did go away, in
> 1980 I believe:  The Shasui Line of Toyama
> District Railway [ Chitetsu, who also operate the
> streetcar line ] from Shin-Toyama ( on the west
> side of the river ).  This line ran up to and
> then along the coast to a ferry connection with
> the Kaetsuno Rwy to Takaoka;  the latter still
> exists in some form.

Neat! Kaetsuno Rwy is now called Manyo Line (万葉線).

Also, thanks for posting photos of the classic 72 Series EMU cars on the Toyama Port Line in the JNR era.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/15 21:10 by cchan006.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0473 seconds