Home Open Account Help 264 users online

International Railroad Discussion > JNR electrics in Toyama, 1972

Date: 06/21/15 17:29
JNR electrics in Toyama, 1972
Author: Steinzeit

Here are the three types of electric locos I saw on my visits to Toyama in 1972:

1)  EF70, AC [ 20 kV ] only
2)  EF 81, AC / DC.  These were not only dual voltage, but dual purpose, although here I usually saw them only on passenger trains.  The "west coast" electrification on Honshu had a long DC portion in the center around Niigata, where the DC lines crossed the mountains from Tokyo;  further, the southern end met the east coast line, which was DC, at the important junction of Maibara between Nagoya and Kyoto.  Hence, there was a need for dual voltage locos, especially for through passenger workings;  indeed, I always wondered why more weren't built, but JNR was used to frequent engine changes en route.
3)  ED70, AC.   Many four axle units seemed to be used, in my experience, mainly on local [ stopping train ] and peak hour commuter runs.  There weren't that many true 4 axle units either, compared to the 6 axle Bo-Bo-Bo types;  and since JNR counted powered axles [ D = 4, F = 6 ], the Bo-2-Bo electrics were also classed ED.

SZ

Date: 06/22/15 20:52
Re: JNR electrics in Toyama, 1972
Author: cchan006

Steinzeit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 3)  ED70, AC.   Many four axle units seemed to
> be used, in my experience, mainly on local [
> stopping train ] and peak hour commuter runs. 
> There weren't that many true 4 axle units either,
> compared to the 6 axle Bo-Bo-Bo types;  and since
> JNR counted powered axles [ D = 4, F = 6 ], the
> Bo-2-Bo electrics were also classed ED.
>
> SZ

Wish I can go back in time to see the older generation style cab ED70 in action.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0298 seconds