Home Open Account Help 273 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Aussie Cab Units on Heritage Passenger Working

Date: 06/24/15 01:23
Aussie Cab Units on Heritage Passenger Working
Author: AussieGWAdriver

Hi all,

Here is some video of the Insight Tours charter trip run by ARHS ACT and 3801 Limited with the photos of this chase in my previous photo thread.. We follow 9L35 with S311, S300 and their 7 carriage train from Nantawarra to Dowds Hill on 5/12/15.

At the end of the video I have added in cab footage from S300 on the lead of 9L34 the previous day as we accelerate away from Crystal Brook and pass 5114 loaded grain with CLP14, GWA010 waiting in the siding at Rocky River. We had just come off a 50km/h curve (About 30 MPH) and then get up to 100km/h (62 MPH) which was the rated speed of the next curve after the loop. This last bit of footage was filmed from a Go Pro mounted to the inside of the windscreen.

Enjoy.

Justin

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/24/15 03:26
Re: Aussie Cab Units on Heritage Passenger Working
Author: Notch16

Bravo! Thanks for the long clips and solid camerawork. Talk about a treat!

~ BZ

Date: 06/24/15 13:25
Author: kinnearyard

Hey, that was a great video .well done .  Loved the growl of the diesels but they have to get a real air horn  on that locomotive. I can pass wind louder than that thing

Date: 06/24/15 16:42
Author: 251F

Justin,

Wonderful video, thanks for posting.  The EMD 567s sound great, especially out working at speed.

But oh those awful RVB airhorns.  I know the RVBs were likely what the S class were delivered new with. 

Even a new cast Nathan P3 or P5 sound way better than even the best tuned RVB 6320 "Hurricane" air siren.

For the curious, Sirens and Horns Pty Ltd still catalog the wretched sounding (I know, I own one) RVB 6320 series.  I don't know of any recent new application of this horn.

http://www.sirens.com.au/6320_series_whistles_&_air_horns.htm

Many new locomotives in Oz are using a special tuned version of a Nathan K5 horn unique to Australia.  The attached image is built on a US style low base.  The Oz version is an even lower base (for clearance) with 2 ports allowing split operation for city/country (3 bells/5 bells) use.

daniel

Date: 06/25/15 02:19
Author: bakersfielddave

one ponders.... will these units in Australia  ex vr  S class , cr GM class, nsw 42 Class  make 70 years in service perhaps on the main line ?

Date: 06/25/15 03:19

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Yes those RVB horns on the S class are horrible. Any Nathan or Leslie would be a lot better.

GM10 and double ended B61 would be the oldest two covered wagons still working in Australia. Both built in 1952.

Justin

Date: 06/25/15 08:54
Author: gaspeamtrak

Absolutely incredible video! Thanks for sharing!

Date: 07/09/15 06:20
Author: pedrop

Nice vídeo. I have a friend in Austrália called Scott Passfield. I do hear from him for a long time. He used to keep me updated on the news on Australian railroads.

Posted from iPhone

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

Date: 07/10/15 07:00

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers,
Justin

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0543 seconds