Home Open Account Help 262 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Tokyo's Past in Osaka

Date: 06/26/15 00:04
Tokyo's Past in Osaka
Author: cchan006

After visiting Fukui, we hopped on the next Thunderbird limited express, and headed to Osaka via Kyoto on the Kosei Line (湖西線), which goes along the west shore of Lake Biwa (琵琶湖), the largest lake in Japan. First clip is a brief look at Lake Biwa.

We did some joyriding in Osaka later, including riding the Fukuchiyama Line (福知山線) where the deadly Amagasaki crash occurred in 2005. Out of respect, I didn't take any photos or record video, but did get a good look at the accident site. As mentioned in the "VALE Tama" thread by bakersfielddave, we were unable to make a trip to Wakayama and possibly see the feline "Super Station Master" Tama.

Before catching the Super Rail Cargo at Noda (野田) next morning, I recorded some video clips of 201 Series EMUs running on the Osaka Loop Line, second and third clips. That's the theme of this thread. 201 Series EMUs were ubiquitous on Tokyo's Chuo Line in past decades, from the 1980s to the 2000s, but they are all gone from Tokyo now.

Here's a report by Hiroshi 5 years ago, of the last running set on the Chuo Line:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?6,2248846

The Osaka version is a little different from the Tokyo version by appearance, but both are pretty much the same design, and seeing them reminded me of Tokyo's past. Later in the week, I was chatting with a hostess at the railfan bar Little TGV in Tokyo, and she mentioned how she misses the 201 Series EMUs, so I showed these video clips, which made her very happy.

- Another relic from Tokyo's past, 103 Series EMU "high cab window" version, which first appeared in Tokyo around 1974. This one also runs on the Osaka Loop Line. No video, because I hopped on this train.

- 103 Series EMU "low cab window" version at Kyoto, which still runs on the Nara Line (奈良線). Low cab window version was manufactured between 1964-1973, so it should have operated in the "Steinzeit Era." :-)

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/26/15 00:37
Re: Tokyo's Past in Osaka

Osaka (大阪) is the second largest city (and metropolitan area) in Japan, after Tokyo. If the railroad network in Tokyo is too much for you, Osaka's got fewer lines to deal with, although not by much:

http://www.geocities.jp/pineame3232/rosenzu/osaka/

We were in a rush to maximize the JR Rail Pass, so I didn't get the 2-3 days needed to do some serious railfanning around Osaka. It'll have to wait until my future visits.

- Video capture of the 201 Series EMU on the Osaka Loop Line.

- Osaka Station has changed dramatically since I last visited 9 years ago.

- Beer vending machine in the Osaka suburbs. In the past, ID was not required to purchase, but thanks to technology, you need a valid ID to purchase Asahi Dry now.

That's it for the quick report.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/15 00:41 by cchan006.

Date: 06/26/15 08:03
Author: Steinzeit

The "Steinzeit Era" -- I had never thought of that !  I have been thinking of a 'generic' title for some posts from "my" era, and I have heard or read about the "Golden Era of JNR", which I think may have covered from 1964 [ the opening of the NTL ] and the end of revenue steam -- but that ending may be a little vague;  perhaps it should be, say, the end of steam in Tokyo or ????.   Have you or anyone else seen a good definition of that Golden Era ?

I too enjoyed my stays in Osaka;  and thanks for the photo of the vending machine.  I had seen different ones in your movies, and wondered what some of them sold these days.

Best regards,  SZ

Date: 06/28/15 11:58

Steinzeit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The "Steinzeit Era" -- I had never thought of that
> !  I have been thinking of a 'generic' title for
> some posts from "my" era, and I have heard or read
> about the "Golden Era of JNR", which I think may
> have covered from 1964 [ the opening of the NTL ]
> and the end of revenue steam -- but that ending
> may be a little vague;  perhaps it should be,
> say, the end of steam in Tokyo or ????.   Have
> you or anyone else seen a good definition of that
> Golden Era ?
>
> I too enjoyed my stays in Osaka;  and thanks for
> the photo of the vending machine.  I had seen
> different ones in your movies, and wondered what
> some of them sold these days.
>
> Best regards,  SZ

I agree with you that era covering the start of Shinkansen (New Trunk Line, NTL, for other TO members who don't know the meaning of the acronym) and the end of steam is the Golden Era of JNR (Japan National Railway, or its Japanese nickname, Koku-tetsu (国鉄). I believe there's a Japanese railfan magazine dedicated to that era, Kokutetsu-Jidai (国鉄時代), so it seems many others realize the importance of the "Steinzeit Era."

The use of steam ended gradually throughout Japan, so there's no clear cutoff as you said, which makes it even more interesting, in my opinion.

Majority of the vending machines still sell sodas, juices, coffee and tea, both hot and cold. Not many sell snacks (chips and chocolate) like we do here in the U.S., but I saw some ice cream, newspaper, and magazines being vended. I still remember the "Cup O'Noodle" vending machines from many years past, but haven't found one recenty.

I suppose I can plan a vacation in Japan just to chase down unique and strange vending machines!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0572 seconds