Home Open Account Help 376 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Okayama and Sakai-Minato

Date: 06/27/15 06:47
Okayama and Sakai-Minato
Author: cchan006

After seeing the 201 Series EMUs and catching the Super Rail Cargo, we immediately headed to Shin-Osaka to catch the next Hikari Super Express to Okayama (岡山). From there, we were going to ride JR West's limited express Yakumo to Yonago (米子) along the scenic Hakubi Line (伯備線), then take the Sakai Line (境線) to the charming port city of Sakai-Minato (境港).

For fans of manga (Japanese cartoons), Sakai-Minato is the birthplace of Shigeru Mizuki, a very interesting fellow:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shigeru_Mizuki

There was some spare time between de-training the Shinkansen and hopping on the Yakumo, so I did a little foaming in between. In the first clip, I watch a 500 Series Shinkansen depart Okayama toward Hakata, Kodama #727.

I went downstairs to the zairai-sen (在来線, non-HSR) platforms and caught a very clean EF65 locomotive deadheading to the nearby freight terminal, second clip. In its glory days, it probably pulled many Blue Trains (ブルートレイン, Japanese sleeper trains). In the background is the limited express Yakumo that had just arrived, ready to turn around as Yakumo #3, the one we were taking to Yonago.

I catch a meet with JR Freight #5050 and tilt-enabled Series 381 EMU in the third clip. Note the lack of air conditioning units on the roof of the train. They were moved below to help lower the center of gravity for tilting to be more effective. Few minutes later I boarded the 381 EMU for a scenic ride to Yonago.

- I got a glimpse of the Okayama Streetcar by catching Tama. Yup, based on the "Super Station Master" cat who passed away recently.

- Tilt technology 381 EMU at Okayama, running as limited express Yakumo #3.

- Video as described above.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/27/15 06:57
Re: Okayama and Sakai-Minato

Sakai-Minato is a very interesting location, surrounded by water, forested hills, and Mount Daisan (大山, "Big Mountain," a national park area) in the distance. It's likely I'll visit here again along with Yonago.

- Got a glimpse of Daisan while riding limited express Yakumo along the forested canyons of Hakubi Line.

- Kiha 40 DMU, in the Kitaro paint scheme, the most famous of Shigeru Mizuki's mangas.

- Another angle of the Kiha 40 DMU, running as a two car set.

Date: 06/27/15 07:06

- Sakai-Minato Station with a monument of Shigeru Mizuki up front.

- Manga series "Ge Ge Ge no Kitaro" characters.

- Another angle of Daisan, from near Yonago.

That's all folks.

Date: 06/27/15 11:54
Author: Ardenwood

Hi Mr.Chan,

Thank you for another group of great pictures.  I think this was also taken at the east end of the Okayama station, at
leat 12 years ago when the 500 series was in the 16-car consist.  Haruo

Date: 06/28/15 13:35

Ardenwood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Mr.Chan,
>
>     Thank you for another group of great
> pictures.  I think this was also taken at the
> east end of the Okayama station, at
> leat 12 years ago when the 500 series was in the
> 16-car consist.  Haruo
>

I think you were standing almost exactly where I was standing.

Those were great days for Shinkansen foaming, when 500 Series was 16 cars and running as Nozomi, and most of the older series like the 0, 100, and 300 were still around.

Date: 06/30/15 14:37
Author: Steinzeit

When looking at the Then and Now photo / movie of the approach to Okayama, I notice the cross span of the portal catenary supports now has "sheet metal" or something on the far [ other or eastern ] sides.  Any thoughts on why this is ? 

SZ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0561 seconds