Home Open Account Help 234 users online

International Railroad Discussion > What are these?

Date: 07/18/15 21:56
What are these?
Author: BobB

When I was in Blaenau Ffestiniog in Wales recently I found these boards between the rails, both within the gauge and between the different tracks.  They were immediately beyond a level pedestrian crossing of the rails both for the narrow gauge Ffestiniog Railway and for the standard gauge shuttle service to the rest of the UK's rail system.  Both lines end at the Blaenau Ffestiniog station.  As one can tell by the rust on the rails, it appears that neither railway normally operates over the pedestrian crossing or beyond; both lines end in a short distance.  The boards appear to be carefully shaped and placed.  They all extend for about the same distance from the pedestrian crossing, but they appear to be of different lengths in order to do so.  I have never seen structures like this before and have no idea what their purpose is.  I would be happy for any suggestions from those who are more familiar with this area.

Date: 07/18/15 23:18
Re: What are these?
Author: 2720

From the last photo, it looks like a trap to keep beer bottles and mylar balloons
off of the tracks!

Cattle guards?

Mike

Date: 07/19/15 00:13
Author: 3rdboxcar

2720 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Cattle guards?
>
> Mike

Nearly right - people guards - used in various places across the rail network mainly at level crossings [grade grossing] and plaform ends.

Alexander

Date: 07/19/15 10:53
Author: BobB

Thanks for the help.  I've never heard of this before, although I'm quite familiar with cattle guards across roads--which as I remember the Brits call cattle grids--from my many years living in the western US.  It's interesting that these guards were placed on the side of the pedestrian crossing that was away from the active rail line rather than on the side that was towards it.

3rdboxcar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 2720 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Cattle guards?
> >
> > Mike
>
> Nearly right - people guards - used in various
> places across the rail network mainly at level
> crossings and plaform ends.
>
> Alexander

Date: 07/19/15 15:29
Author: pedrop

I imagine it is a device to prevent pedestrians to walk out of the pedestrian walkway. Like the one we use to see for cattle, this one is to educate humans to not walk between the tracks.

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0519 seconds