Home Open Account Help 327 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Japan advice

Date: 07/27/15 22:47
Japan advice
Author: jonjonjonjon

My first trip to Japan and I'm spending some time on Shikoku island - any TO members conversant on trains in Japan? I'll have a few days to joyride around Shikoku - anything I shouldn't miss?
And...a question....why do engineers in Japan point at the signals as they pass?
If I get any good pics I'll post them here.
Jon

Date: 07/28/15 05:40
Re: Japan advice
Author: nm2320

jonjonjonjon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
..why do engineers in Japan
> point at the signals as they pass?

To prevent errors. I would suspect they also say what they are seeing. It is to ensure you saw the signal, read it, and respond accordingly. Utilities do it in control centers when operating equipment remotely. Select the substation. When the screen appears, point to the station name and say the name, point to the circuit breaker, say the name of the circuit breaker, select the breaker, say what you are going to do (trip or close), execute, observe what happens, and say what happens.

Date: 07/28/15 23:34
Author: Ardenwood

My grandmother was from Shikoku, and my nephew recently married a Shikoku girl. Some day I hope to visit there.  Meanwhile ty a few sites like this:
 https://shikoku-railwaytrip.com/

Date: 08/11/15 20:31
Author: symph1

I just returned from 2 weeks there for a wedding, and must have ridden 100 train segments, subways, monorails, etc. So you're welcome to PM me. I'm happy to help if I can. Also, Hiroshi, a wonderful Japanese gentleman on TO, is very knowledgable.

Date: 08/11/15 20:51

Also, bookmark this website. Invaluable. http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

Date: 08/11/15 21:51
Author: jonjonjonjon

I have one day left on my jr pass and am thinking of headin north to Sendai maybe - and stop at an intermediate station too to see some Shinkansen at speed. I had great trip on the locals on Shukoku - will post when I get a chance. I'll try to contact Hitoshi but PM may not work on my phone.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/12/15 05:42

jonjonjonjon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and stop at an
> intermediate station too to see some Shinkansen at
> speed.
Few things in life compare to being on a platform when an express Shinkansen passes thru at speed. Especially if it's on the platform track.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0347 seconds