Home Open Account Help 384 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Hiroshima trams

Date: 08/11/15 19:49
Hiroshima trams
Author: symph1

I was in Japan for a wedding, and used the busy and varied tram system in Hiroshima. Thanks for looking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/15 19:56 by symph1.

Date: 08/11/15 19:51
Re: Hiroshime trams

Three more.

Date: 08/11/15 19:55
Re: Hiroshima trams

In the 2nd of this set, the tram is out of the city and now on a dedicated r.o.w. No more street running. JR tracks are on the right. Note operator acknowledging a signal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/15 19:56 by symph1.

Date: 08/11/15 19:59

One more. In this one, the tram is passing the "atomic dome," a building that somehow survived the A-bomb attack. It's now part of a memorial park. I was there on August 6, the 70th anniversary of this event.

Incidentally, I posted a thread on Japanese monorails on the passenger board. http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,3815873.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/15 20:06 by symph1.

Date: 08/11/15 21:25
Author: wa4umr

symph1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One more. In this one, the tram is passing the
> "atomic dome," a building that somehow survived
> the A-bomb attack. It's now part of a memorial
> park. I was there on August 6, the 70th
> anniversary of this event.
>
The building survived because the bomb went off almost directly over it,  The forces were straight down on the building.  Other buildings were hit by the blast at an angle and were blown over, tht and the fact that so many were of wood and paper construction.  It's been about 44 years since I was there. Now we are coming up on the 75th anniversary of VJ-day on 14 Aug here in the US, and the 15th in Japan since they were on the other side of the International Date Line..

Interesting pictures.  There is another fine example of a suspended transit system.  Go to U Tube and search "Wuppertal Schwebebahn."  It's been running since 1901.  Obviously, th cars have been renewed but the track/suspention system seems to be original.

John

Date: 08/11/15 22:07
Author: Krokodil

Looks like you got some nice old timers, remember seeing them over 30 years ago, and they looked old then!

Thomas  Eckhardt

Date: 08/12/15 18:35
Author: cchan006

symph1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the 2nd of this set, the tram is out of the
> city and now on a dedicated r.o.w. No more street
> running. JR tracks are on the right. Note operator
> acknowledging a signal.

Only certain types of Hiroden streetcars operate on the dedicated R.O.W., known as the Miyajima Line,. Most of the older types don't operate there. The line reaches Miyajima-guchi, where you can take a JR ferry (JR Rail Pass is valid) to the World Heritage Itsukushima Shrine.

Nice catch on the ex-Kyoto and ex-Osaka cars, photos #2, #6, and #7.

Date: 08/12/15 20:29

cchan006 Wrote:

> Only certain types of Hiroden streetcars operate
> on the dedicated R.O.W., known as the Miyajima
> Line,. Most of the older types don't operate
> there. The line reaches Miyajima-guchi, where you
> can take a JR ferry (JR Rail Pass is valid) to the
> World Heritage Itsukushima Shrine.
Yes, that's what we did. Here's a photo.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1313 seconds