Home Open Account Help 359 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Back from Japan!

Date: 08/21/15 07:20
Back from Japan!
Author: jonjonjonjon

I'm back from my 3-week journey in Japan, but am still reeling from the jet lag.
The purpose of the trip wasn't railfan-oriented, but I managed to squeeze in some train time.
Here's a single clip from a chance I had to spend an hour on the Oyazamaki platform of the Hankyu RR just south of Kyoto.
We had just finished a visit to the famed Yamazaki distillery for a tasting of their fine products.
We rode JR to Yamazaki station and took the non-JR Hankyu line back into Kyoto.
The Hankyu platform at Oyamazaki is wedged alongside the Tokaido Shinkansen line and the platform narrows down to a 3-ft wide strip with the Shinkansen tracks just a few feet away - so that's naturally where I went!
It was brutally hot that day - over 100 - and  I was glad the Hankyu provided an air-condition glassed in seating area on the platform to retreat to (with a cold drinks vending machine 3 ft away).
The Hankyu operates at about 7-min. intervals and the Shinkansens just keep coming one after another at 5 to 7 min. intervals, so you're guranteed a meet if you stick around for more than 20 minutes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/15 08:53 by jonjonjonjon.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/21/15 07:37
Re: Back from Japan!

Here are some stills showing the Hankyou trains. They are absolutely spotless. 

Date: 08/21/15 07:39

The interiors are pretty spartan - but feature green crushed velvet upholstery.

Date: 08/21/15 08:39
Author: 86235

I rode the Hankyu Railway back in 2002, the standard of cleanliness was extraordinary.

Date: 08/21/15 20:14
Author: 251F

Ah pleasant memories of the Hankyu Railway.  Thanks for posting.

When I lived in Tennoji-Osaka, we'd always hop off the Tannimachi subway line at Higashi-Umeda station for the underground trek to Umeda Station and the Hankyu Railway terminal.  Naturally, the walk took you, conveniently, right by the Hankyu Department Store, owner of the railway.

It was worth the walk.  At that time, the Hankyu fare to Kyoto was half the JR fare.  And it's nice to see the spotless dark maroon MUs with the crushed velvet green seats still around and working fine. 
http://www.hankyu-dept.co.jp/fl/english/honten/
http://www.hankyu.co.jp/en/

Incidently, Hankyu also owns the company, Alna Sharyo, that made the MU cars used by the railway.
https://www.jorsa.or.jp/en/members/alna/

daniel

Date: 08/23/15 07:47
Author: cchan006

Nice find on the location! Love the video with the speeding trains.

Competition is fierce in the Kansai region, namely the Kobe-Osaka-Kyoto corridor. Hankyu Corporation reorganized in 2005 into Hankyu Holdings, then the holding company acquired its Osaka/Kobe corridor competitor Hanshin Electric Railway, and the parent company became Hankyu Hanshin Holdings, Inc. This is so they can compete with JR West.

FYI, Japanese pro baseball team Hanshin Tigers is the same Hanshin as the Electric Railway.

Date: 08/23/15 18:38

Thanks for all of the background info - I'll be posting more Hankyu photos and videos as time allows

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0719 seconds