Home Open Account Help 350 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Yamazaki Crossing

Date: 08/28/15 06:42
Yamazaki Crossing
Author: jonjonjonjon

Here is a video I shot at the grade crossing at the Yamazaki Distillery outside of Kyoto, Japan earlier this month.
After touring the distillery (Highly recommended!) and sampling the whiskies of Japan, I snuck in some stand-by-the-crossing and see what comes by style of railfanning.
The crossing is just a few hundred feet south of the JR Yamazaki station, so there are 5 tracks (narrow gauge 3'-6") to allow express passenger and freights to barrel through.
There are trains at least every 5 min., so it's a busy place.
Note the detectors trackside that make sure the crossing is clear.  

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/28/15 07:00
Re: Yamazaki Crossing

Here are some more views - the old still next to the crossing and ones still in use

Date: 08/28/15 07:12
Author: YG

Very interesting Jon!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com 

Date: 08/28/15 20:01
Author: cchan006

That was fun! A delight for any JR West foamers - the locals, the New Rapids, Limited Express Thunderbird (or equivalent), Haruka (Airport Limited Express), and a couple of JR freight trains with a MacBeau moment included.

Suntory Holdings is the parent company for Yamazaki Distillery. I know we got beer drinking TO members, so Suntory's answer to Asahi Dry in the 1980s Beer Wars is "Malt's."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/15 20:02 by cchan006.

Date: 08/29/15 05:15

Suntory also owns the Jim Beam and Bullit brands now too

Date: 08/30/15 19:34
Author: gaspeamtrak

Really neat ! Thank you for sharing...

Date: 09/03/15 14:55
Author: 86235

I spent a very enjoyable morning at Yamazaki back in 2002, great location, great single malt whisky too.

Date: 09/15/15 23:25
Author: JGFuller

Is that a Position Light signal? PRR in Japan?

Date: 09/15/15 23:37
Author: JGFuller

Shoulda Googled first:Repeating signals=small[edit]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/47/Chukei-signal.jpg/200px-Chukei-signal.jpg Repeating signal (go)A repeating signal (中継信号機, chūkei shingōki) is linked to a home, starting or block signal with reduced visibility; the repeating signal repeats its relevant signal. This signal uses lines of three white lights to indicate its relevant signal:
  • Go: Vertical line
  • Caution: Diagonal line (reduced speed, caution or speed restriction)
  • Stop: Horizontal line
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c2/Japanese_repeating_signal_sequence_en.png/350px-Japanese_repeating_signal_sequence_en.pngThis signal only repeats the relevant signal; speed restriction is applied at the relevant signal (not the repeating signal).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0515 seconds