Home Open Account Help 324 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Sagano Scenic RR - Japan

Date: 09/02/15 17:56
Sagano Scenic RR - Japan
Author: jonjonjonjon

Here's another Japan train video....
I managed to talk my fellow travelers into taking the short Sagano Scenic RR ride outside of Kyoto. The temperature was 103, with high humidity that day, and the thought of sitting down and catching a breeze sealed the deal. The Sagano runs through the steep valley of the Katsura river from Sagaarashiyama to Torroko Hozyuko along what appears to be the original alignment of the Sanin main line. Quite a few tunnels and bridges on the way and the current Sanin mainline can be glimpsed as it punches through the ridges and spans the river valley on big steel arch bridges.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/02/15 18:58
Re: Sagano Scenic RR - Japan
Author: cchan006

Thanks for the great video!

Sagano Scenic RR is marketed in English as the Sagano Romantic Train. It's a subsidiary of JR West, a result of the wish to convert an abandoned line into a tourist line. As you mentioned, this was the original San-in main line, abandoned due to the construction of the new double-tracked electrified main line.

I was made aware of this line by some awesome railfan photographs of the cherry blossoms and autumn leaves.

Date: 09/04/15 09:12
Author: gaspeamtrak

Looked very interesting. Is there website in "english" ? What part of Japan is this located in???

Date: 09/04/15 10:46
Author: jonjonjonjon

gaspeamtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looked very interesting. Is there website in
> "english" ? What part of Japan is this located
> in???

The Sagano RR is located in Kyoto, Japan.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/嵯峨野観光鉄道(株)+トロッコ嵯峨駅+Sagano+Romantic+Train/@35.0189655,135.6734304,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x6001a9fe9bfe5279:0x1259413423edf0d9

It runs along the Katsura River to the west for about 8 miles.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0313 seconds