Home Open Account Help 363 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Guayaquil and Quito (Tren Crucero) - Worth Doing?

Date: 09/15/15 19:48
Guayaquil and Quito (Tren Crucero) - Worth Doing?
Author: stanhunter

I'll be traveling to Ecuador next June and would like to ride the newly reopened G&Q but don't know much about it.  Is one direction better than another?
Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Date: 09/15/15 21:13
Re: Guayaquil and Quito (Tren Crucero) - Worth Doing?
Author: AltiplanoRailtours1

i had a good ride on it, we went quito to guayaquil. a good ride, neat railway. enjoy

Adam

Date: 09/15/15 21:27
Author: JohnM

this the three day trip from the coast to the highlands?

Date: 09/16/15 05:15
Author: Labby

Yes, the G&Q is worth doing. It is a totally different ride than that of years ago when people rode in box cars and on the roof. Today it is a cruise train and conditions are quite soft. Have rode those boxcar roofs and tender decks many times and while exciting as it is, would really look forward to this new service of comfort. You should enjoy the trip very much.

My recommendation would be to travel north from Duran, which is across the river from Guayaquil. It is where the train starts. You will travel through the low lands and then begin a climb through the Chan Chan Gorge to Sibambe at the base of Narez del Diablo.. Believe the new train stops there and it will give you a real appreciation for how you are going to climb to Alusi. Continuing on to Rio Bamba and up to the summit at Urbina.  From there you continue to Quito. By far the engine(s) will work the most traveling north and the scenery makes a dramatic change from low lands to mountains, something missed by leaving from Quito.

From what I have seen of the train it has a steam engine and diesel. So how hard the steamer will actually work is unknown. It is one of the great train rides in the World, you will enjoy it!

Date: 09/16/15 19:26
Author: africansteam

Labby described the experience perfectly. Is the G&Q worth doing? Yes, yes and Yes!

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 11/09/15 00:29
Author: atsf121

Didn't get to ride the trains while I lived in Ecuador but will second the recommendation of riding from Duran to Quito.  Climbing the Andes (even by bus like I did) is unforgettable.  Enjoy, I'm hoping to go back someday and ride the train.  

Nathan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0356 seconds