Home Open Account Help 333 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Oh....To be a kid in Japan....

Date: 09/22/15 05:54
Oh....To be a kid in Japan....
Author: jonjonjonjon

Aaahhhhh....to be a kid in Japan. 
The Japanese provide plenty of kid-friendly diversions all over - including trains.
Some of the trains on Shikoku are outfitted with cars just for young families thatare split between a play area and seating, with a very colorful Anpanman theme.
(I have never seen an Anpanman TV show, but I'm told that he is a character whose head is made from an Anpan, or sweet bean-filled bun, and he posseses some karate skills to thwart his nemeses. But...being a swee character, he will let you take a bite out of his head if you are hungry. Therefore, he needs to return to the bakery occasionally to have his head replaced. Makes perfect sense. Anyway, he's a big hit with the kids.)
THese trains are publicized all over Japan and it's a tourism draw to the otherwise off-the-beaten-path island of Shikoku.
I saw instances of families running to the front of the platform when the Anpanman train stopped in small towns and propping their little precious one in front of the train for a snapshot.
I also saw several Japanese foamers taking interest in the trains.

1 - The station in Takamatsu has been decorated with grahics noting its status as the "Smile Station Shikoku" - where many of the Anpanman trains originate.

2- Smile station!

3 - My Anpanman-themed train awaits departure from Kochi 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/15 19:41 by jonjonjonjon.

Date: 09/22/15 05:56
Re: Oh....To be a kid in Japan....

Scenes from Kochi - towns along the line have also joined the fun with kiddie-themed trams and busses.
THe third photo is the side of the Anpanman DMU I rode

Date: 09/22/15 05:58

Inside the Anpanman car - I can't describe the music playing over the loudspeakers. Something I didn't want to stick around and experience too long!

Date: 09/22/15 06:04

And here's a map of Shikoku and the lines I rode outlined in red

Date: 09/22/15 19:15
Author: cchan006

There's an Anpan Man Museum east of Kochi. The closest station geographically is actually Shingai, but no highways nearby, so the access is via a bus from Tosayamada Station on the Dosan Line. This is an example of JR Group railroads promoting a local attraction with appropriately painted train sets.

While the creator of Anpan Man, Takashi Yanase was born in Tokyo, his parents were from Shikoku and he spent most of his grade school years growing up near where the Anpan Man museum is. He died in 2013 (94 years old).

Date: 09/22/15 19:43

cchan - thanks for the Anpanman info - I didn't know there was a local connection.
I've uploaded a video of the southbound trip to my *tube account and will upload  a much shorter version here soon (too long for TO). Link is over on my web page gnarchive.com

Date: 09/23/15 19:21

I've posted a video of the ride here....
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?6,3850355

Date: 09/27/15 15:15
Author: PERichardson

The trolley getting kids into beer at an early age?

Date: 09/28/15 07:18
Author: cchan006

masterphots Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The trolley getting kids into beer at an early
> age?

Hehe. You must have visited Japan when Kirin Beer was #1 before the rise of Asahi Dry.

Parents can always buy the kids a Kirin label non-alcoholic beverage, Kirin Lemon, for example. They market the Tropicana brand fruit juices in Japan, but I don't recall seeing any during my previous trips to Japan.

TV commercials in Japan allow actors to actually drink the beverage, even if the ad is for alcoholic beverages. You can say they have a different opinion on subliminal advertising over there.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0782 seconds