Home Open Account Help 354 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Fepasa Chile Alco chase...now for the slides

Date: 09/29/15 08:25
Fepasa Chile Alco chase...now for the slides
Author: PERichardson

On July 20 I posted a few digital shots of Fepasa's recently rebuilt/repainted Alco #1810 which was re-gauged from 5'6" to meter gauge for the Los Andes to Saladillo line to Codelco's Andina Division copper mine.  Now that I have the slides, here are a few more images from that chase on July 20.

1.  A bit east of Los Andes.  Every time I shoot at this bridge I seem to luck out in that there are no passing trucks or buses on this very heavily trafficed highway, which is the road to Mendoza, Argentina.

2.  Passing the old steam water plug at Vicuya

3.  A few miles east of Vicuya

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/15 13:37 by masterphots.

Date: 09/29/15 08:29
Re: Fepasa Chile Alco chase...now for the slides

4.  Looks like N gauge in the canyon about half way between Los Andes and Rio Blanco

5-6.  At Rio Blanco, the train is split in half and each is taken up to the copper concentrate loadout at the Saladillo mine.  There is a switchback just above Rio Blanco and they back about four miles to the mine.  Here the first half of empty tubs is starting up to the switchback.  They use a homemade caboose to protect the backing moves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/15 08:29 by masterphots.

Date: 09/29/15 09:26
Author: TexasRocket

Beautiful! Number 5 shows why they are named the Andes: look at those magnificent andesite crags!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/15 09:27 by TexasRocket.

Date: 09/29/15 09:33
Author: photobob

Excellent photos of a beautiful country. 

Date: 09/29/15 11:17

TexasRocket Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beautiful! Number 5 shows why they are named the
> Andes: look at those magnificent andesite crags!

Thanks for the geology lesson.  I assume this is also the history of the name of the SP siding near Mt. Shasta.

Date: 09/29/15 12:35
Author: pedrop

Fantastic pics Alan. I Hope the economy in Brazil can be a bit better in 2016 to allow me to visit Chile.The dollar os rising every day here since last month.

Posted from iPhone

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

Date: 09/30/15 21:50
Author: 2720

Another great set of photos alan!!

Thanks for sharing!

Mike

Date: 10/04/15 10:12
Author: SD45X

LOL, that last shot makes me think Outhouse on wheels.....

Great chase, how fast does this train run? Looks like the trackwork is in pretty good shape.

Date: 10/04/15 16:34

SD45X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LOL, that last shot makes me think Outhouse on
> wheels.....
>
> Great chase, how fast does this train run? Looks
> like the trackwork is in pretty good shape.

The track is in very good shape but the grades and weight of the trains restrict speed to about 15-20 mph max,  perhaps a bit more on eastbound empties to the mine.  It's a very easy chase if you don't get stuck behind a caravan of 10 mph trucks slogging up the mountain on their way to Argentina. And most of the photo spots can be driven to.  The shot at Vicuya required parking and walking across a little suspension bridge over the river and then hiking down the track a few hundred yards.   The railway is only about 20 miles in length.

Date: 10/05/15 04:08
Author: 86235

Really nice Alan, thanks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2213 seconds