Home Open Account Help 394 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Take the A-Train (JR Kyushu, Japan)

Date: 10/26/15 23:42
Take the A-Train (JR Kyushu, Japan)
Author: cchan006

Here's a quick example of the concept of "Joyful Train", a term that describes a train set used strictly to entertain passengers in Japan. A Joyful Train is usually modified from a train set in general use, starting with a unique paint scheme. That might satisfy the photo-taking railfans (撮り鉄), but the railroad also has to satisfy the riding railfans (乗り鉄), so the interior is almost always modified. It can be as simple as tatami interior (traditional bamboo), as conventional as larger windows for better view, or as extreme as a foot bath car.

Those who can't get past the idea that train should only be "necessary transportation" need not visit the island of Kyushu. This is "land cruise" territory, and JR Kyushu Railway Company have gone over the top, with the help of industrial designer Eiji Mitooka (水戸岡鋭治). They have the baddest land yacht in the country, the super luxurious Seven Stars, which I chased (but couldn't ride) last October:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?6,3549695

During my JR Rail Pass marathon trip with my brother last May, we made a straight shot from Sakai-Minato to Kyushu, to visit the largest city in the island's southern tip, Kagoshima, a ~900 km journey (~560 mile) that took about 7 hours. We did stop briefly at Kumamoto, and saw JR Kyushu's Joyful Train, the A-Train, but did not take the time to take photos. However, I did take some photos and videos of the A-Train back in March of 2014, after I rode the steam excursion "SL Hitoyoshi."

Here's the official A-Train web site from JR Kyushu, in English:

http://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/english/train/atrain.jsp

- A-Train at Kumamoto.

- The uniformed lady is the conductor, and she stands by her train to greet passengers.

- Video of the A-Train arriving and departing Kumamoto. Note the Duke Ellington "Take the A-Train" music in the background.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/15 00:17 by cchan006.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/27/15 00:03
Re: Take the A-Train (JR Kyushu, Japan)

The A-Train makes a short, ~36 km, 40 minute journey on the Uto Peninsula, from Kumamoto to Misumi, a former port city now named Uki City due to several cities merging as one - a continuing trend in Japan's "lost decade" era, where smaller towns and cities merge into a bigger one, primary for financial reasons. I haven't taken the A-Train yet, so a more detailed report of the experience will have to wait.

- Conductor on the right is about to go off duty, while the one on the left has just started hers. The outfit is very classy.

- I didn't ride, but the conductor allowed me to go inside and look at the interior. JR Kyushu is known for using wood for interior design.

- Passage way and restrooms near the vestibule.

Date: 10/27/15 00:13

The A-Train set was modified from JNR era DMU Kiha 185, a relatively new design that began revenue service in the island of Shikoku in 1986. Quite a few of them have been converted to other Joyful Trains.

- Baristas getting ready in the A-Train Bar.

- A side view look at the vestibule end of car #1.

Date: 11/02/15 04:25
Author: jonjonjonjon

Another one for my next trip to Japan!

Date: 11/04/15 07:28

jonjonjonjon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another one for my next trip to Japan!

While JR Rail Pass can't be used on a handful of extravagant Joyful Trains (Seven Stars, Sweet Train, JR East's "FruiTea"), you should be able to use it on the A-Train as well as Yufuin-no-Mori, which is a Joyful Train that has been running on the scenic Kyudai Line since the late 1980s - perhaps the symbol of Japan's past economic boom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KiHa_71_series

What's so great about Kyushu is the limited express trains that are extravagant, even if they are not Joyful Trains, something you can ride every day. I'll try to post more on JR Kyushu trains later on.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0891 seconds