Home Open Account Help 312 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Quick JR Shikoku (Japan)

Date: 11/06/15 09:28
Quick JR Shikoku (Japan)
Author: cchan006

On the last day of the JR Rail Pass marathon trip with my brother last May, we spent the morning on the east coast of Kyushu around Miyazaki, then made a straight shot to Okayama via limited express Kirishima and Shinkansen Sakura, then to the northern shore of Shikoku via limited express Shiokaze, crossing the Inland Sea on the Seto Ohashi Bridges. Even with the Shinkansen segment, the 650 mile journey took approximately 8 hours, so by the time we got to Iyo-Saijo (伊予西条), it was already very late afternoon. Late enough that the Shikoku Railway Culture Center (museum) was already closed.

Shikoku is the smallest of four main islands that make up Japan. JR Shikoku's formal English name is Shikoku Railway Company.

We spent the rest of the evening on a random joyride and headed to Takamatsu, where the sleeper limited express Sunrise Seto was waiting. I had made a reservation almost a week in advance to make sure the train wasn't sold out, and that we get adjacent sleeping berths - the cost difference was minimal, so we opted for separate rooms instead of sharing the same berth with two beds. We arrived in Takamatsu early enough before the 9:26 pm departure that we had time for a sit down restaurant to eat delicious Sanuki Udon (noodles), a Shikoku specialty.

I recorded videos at two locations, at Marugame (丸亀) and Iyo-Himi (伊予氷見). First clip is at Marugame, where limted express Nanpu (南風, or "Southern Wind") using the 2000 series "Anpan man" DMU is departing Marugame. Jonjonjonjon rode this train on the Dosan Line, and here are links to his reports:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?6,3850355
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?6,3848604

The 7000 series "EMU" (Electric Multiple Unit) is unique to JR Shikoku, where the middle double doors do not operate when making stops at unmanned stations. I put quotes on "EMU" because some, like this one has control stands on both ends, where it can operate solo. Unlike many other EMUs in Japan where the train is operated by two man crews, this train has one crew ("ワンマン"). We de-trained semi-randomly at Iyo-Himi, since I deduced from the schedule that 7000 EMUs would meet at the next station west, so I could nab one then hop on the next right away on our way to Takamatsu. Second clip captures the westbound departing Iyo-Himi.

- Second prototype of "Free Gauge Train" displayed at the Shikoku Railway Cultural Center.
- Series 7000 that we rode departing Iyo-Saijo.
- Two video clips I got at Marugame and Iyo-Himi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/15 10:05 by cchan006.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/06/15 09:49
Re: Quick JR Shikoku (Japan)

"Free Gauge Train" is a concept being tested by the JR Group railways, for a Shinkansen train set that can run on both 1435 mm and 1067 mm gauges. In a nutshell, the wheel axles lengthen or shorten to accommodate the track gauges. While a station transfer might be more cost effective for the railroad, Japanese take passenger convenience and the concept of one seat ride VERY seriously. More details here in a wikipedia link, in English:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_Change_Train

The third prototype, which started testing last year has run into mechanical problems as mentioned in the wikipedia article. I was hoping to catch it, but the testing had already ceased for a design review.

Following are more photo tidbits from my short visit to Shikoku last May.

- JR Shikoku's 2000 series DMU at Marugame. You can call it Jonjonjonjon's DMU. :-)
- 7000 Series "EMU" approaching Iyo-Himi (eastbound, my ride).
- JNR era 121 Series EMU at Marugame. Similar in design to the 205 Series, it went into service right before the JNR privatization in 1987.

Date: 11/06/15 10:05

After March of 2016, Sleeper Limited Express Sunrise might be the last scheduled sleeper train in the JR system. The train is in no danger of being discontinued anytime soon, as the train sets were renovated recently, so the primary reason for sleeper trains being discontinued in Japan ("aging equipment") has been averted.

Sunrise Seto and Sunrise Izumo run together between Tokyo and Okayama on the westbound run. The sets uncouple at Okayama, then Sunrise Seto takes the Seto Ohashi Bridges to go to Shikoku, while Sunrise Izumo crosses the mountains on the Hakubi Line to reach the Japan Sea side. On the eastbound run, they run separately to Okayama, couple together, then arrive in Tokyo the next morning at 7:08 am.

- Sunrise Seto at Takamatsu station.
- Subtitle on the Takamatsu station sign says "Sanuki Udon station." Yum.

Date: 11/06/15 13:00
Author: twin_star_rocket

Somehow reminds me of "Jeff", the alien who lives in the subway in Men In Black 2.

Brian Ehni

Date: 11/14/15 17:42
Author: jonjonjonjon

I love seeing the Anpanman DMU again! I hope the Sunrise Ltd. is still running on my next trip to Japan - I'd make a point to ride it.
Thanks for posting!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0601 seconds