Home Open Account Help 276 users online

International Railroad Discussion > A Homemade Artist Train Runs on the Abandoned Rails of Mexico

Date: 11/10/15 12:27
A Homemade Artist Train Runs on the Abandoned Rails of Mexico
Author: inCHI

Two Mexican artists made a retro-futuristic hirail vehicle to travel the route of an abandoned line from Mexico City to the east coast. I wasn't aware of that route, and it is surprising how well-built it looks in the photos. The video in this article has some fascinating views as well. There is a whole website of documentation as well. One thing seems clear - they have reignited discussion about the past and future of the route. Note this curious tidbit: "For the London exhibition, they collaborated with model railway experts to reproduce some of the Mexican track ruins."

http://hyperallergic.com/133636/a-homemade-artist-train-runs-on-the-abandoned-rails-of-mexico/

Date: 11/16/15 22:03
Re: A Homemade Artist Train Runs on the Abandoned Rails of Mexico
Author: JimBaker

This looks to be the old Ferrocarril de Pacifico.
Help please!!

--Jim Baker

Date: 11/17/15 08:06
Author: tp117

Using a Nat'l Geographic rather large map of Mexico and a 1959 Official Railway Guide I have determined that these photos are not all along the same railway line, and some are hundreds of miles apart. The easiest clue is the last picture of railway trestle and the cat pole supports. This has to be on the old Mexican Railway line between Vera Cruz and Mexico City. This line featured steep grades (4.7% IIRC) many curves and at least the hilly parts of it were electrified. In 1959 there were two thru passenger trains a day (the overnight had sleepers), plus locals. Now, there are seven stations in Mexico named Esperanza, and one is on the Mexican Rwy, but it looks a little arid to be that one. I did not try to find them all. I am quite sure this line was , in part, the worst operating section, abandoned after a new line was built to the south climbing the escarpment also on a rather spectacular right of way. This new line shows in some programs on Mexico done by Revelation videos. The only station 'La Loma'  listed in the Guide was in El Salvador and the RRs there are narrow gauge when obvious their motor car is standard gauge. A 'La Loma' in Durango had to be a minor stop, and is AT LEAST 600 miles from from the photo at Telixtlahuaca which is in Oaxaca. I have not checked but this line may still be in service, note the welded rail. One photo shows volcano 'Citlailtepetl' in the background. I have not tried to find it, or any of the places on Google earth. But it is obvious to me they are not all the same continuous piece of abandoned railroad as implied. In fact, some might just be out of service, rail banked, or have such infrequent service the 'artists' are lucky they did not get run over as they may not have had permission to be there, even with Mexico's 'wild west' reputation. One rail line that has been re-built in the last 40 years, hardly ever used, built to high standards and in desert country is the now FXE ex-CHP line from Chihuahua to Ojinaja opposite Presidio.

Date: 11/17/15 19:42
Author: Geep

JimBaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This looks to be the old Ferrocarril de Pacifico.
> Help please!!
>
> --Jim Baker

Nope! FCP is used DAILY! West coast mainline...

Date: 11/17/15 21:32
Author: JimBaker

Touche! Thanks for the catch.
I meant to say. FC Mexicano.

--Jim Baker

Date: 11/18/15 01:02
Author: Geep

JimBaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Touche! Thanks for the catch.
> I meant to say. FC Mexicano.
>
> --Jim Baker

NdeM built the 32 tunnel and high concrete viaduct featured "Acultzingo District"bypassing much of the tough curves, grades and clearance problems with superb infrastructure. Today, Ferrosur tackles this incredible pass over Cumbres de Maltrata, the new Metlac, the Pensil tunnel viaduct and other lines. The old roadbed is a cultural trail, where rail remains in very few places.

Date: 11/18/15 06:26

Last night I think I found this new line and tried to follow it on Google Earth. I saw some tunnels but not 32 and no big viaduct so I will look again; also I did not follow it west of what i thought was the summit where the line became straighter. I found two trains on it, both short. The line looks to be mostly double track. What is the grade? Also, following the old line, it had several amazing very tight hourseshoe curves, and that trestle is very hard to find. But the western half still seems to be in service due to cars on line and it also has a very interesting alignment.

Date: 11/18/15 20:06

Looked at that new line again...see it, counted 31 tunnels, many curved, must have missed one. From Cordoba to where it meets old alignment to the west is only 21 air miles, but the RR must go over 40. I'd love to see the track charts for that line, and know traffic density. It is single track with some long double. There are several short trains on it, one CH upbound IIRC 52 cars and 2 units on front and two in middle.

Date: 11/24/15 22:52
Author: pmack

photos from the display.  The model bits look to be Z gauge by the name of the display:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/http_gallery/sets/72157645386568963/

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0587 seconds