Home Open Account Help 277 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Field Trip! (Cross Post)

Date: 11/16/15 20:17
Field Trip! (Cross Post)
Author: africansteam

I went to school in Southern California. Occasionally my grammar school would venture out on a field trip. I loved these trips. Intended to broaden our horizons, they were diverse if not always interesting to a male child. My class would board a big yellow Crown Coach and ride out into the country to a dairy or into the city to experience an opera. I never cared what the venue was, field trips simply meant  hours away from what I considered to be a boring classroom environment.

Alas, we never went to the TravelTown rail museum in Los Angeles Griffith Park so I was never as lucky as these kids posing for a class picture on  MAV 4-6-0 No. 424.365 at the Hungarian Railway Museum in Budapest, Hungary.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/15 12:06 by africansteam.

Date: 11/17/15 08:58
Re: Field Trip! (Cross Post)
Author: 55002

You got good trips with the school. I always got the short straw.....art galleries, museums, sculptures....when I wanted the trains. Chris uk

Date: 11/19/15 18:35
Author: up833

I went to a paper mill, to a glass bottle plant, a dairy to see milk bottled and a Coke bottling plant...note the term bottled..no cartons or cans back in that time!
Roger Beckett

Date: 11/20/15 11:05
Author: PERichardson

My field trips included the Chevy Van Nuys (LA area in California),  a tuna packing plant (can still remember the smell) and the Voit Rubber factory where they made sports balls (that one smelled like hot rubber).  Can't set foot in most factories these days, although for racing fans, there's a great tour of the Dallara Indycar factory,  across the street from IMS, in Speedway, IN.

Date: 11/22/15 09:12
Author: YukonYeti

I was truly lucky... In my senior year of high school we visited to Coors plant in Golden.  Students who were 18 were allowed to have a glass of Adolph's finest brew.  (Back then, the legal age for 3.2 beer was 18.)

Move the clock ahead to 2015, the teacher would be brought up on charges, the students would be sent to rehab and Coors would be all but shut down.

Back to my cave with a six pack..

Yukon Yeti

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.052 seconds