Home Open Account Help 376 users online

International Railroad Discussion > India

Date: 02/04/16 10:39
India
Author: glibby

To supplement dwatry's outstanding photos of trains in India, I offer the attached three photos taken in Benares, India, in June, 1966

Date: 02/04/16 12:55
Re: India
Author: boejoe

1966!  Wow, golden oldies.  Thanks for posting.

Date: 02/04/16 13:25
Author: pedrop

Great photos. Thanks for share them here.

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

Date: 02/04/16 14:42
Author: 1435mmGauge

Jerry, the diesel locomotive is a rare GM-EMD GT-16, the export version of the domestic SD-24. India was the only country that bought them. 72 units were produced. Awesome picture.

Date: 02/04/16 17:55
Author: boejoe

I did a Google map search to find Benares India.  Varanasi popped up.  Is this correct?  When I visited Varanasi the tour guide referred to it as the City of Learning and Burning (for the cremations that take place along the Ganges River)

Date: 02/04/16 23:28
Author: dwatry

Nice photos! It would have been nice to see some steam, but alas...

dwatry

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/05/16 07:35
Author: africansteam

Love the TATA Pacific! Thanks for posting.

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 02/05/16 07:49
Author: glibby

Yes, Benares is Varanasi, and I believed the latter name is more commonly used now.  Don't know why or when the change came about.  Glad to know of your interest in this subject.

Date: 02/07/16 14:57
Author: dwatry

City name changes have been occurring in India since independence from the British in 1947.  Sometimes it is to align spelling more with the local language (of which there are many in India), sometimes to move away from a name with colonial overtones, and sometimes it is politically-motivated in the tug-of-war that is often Indian politics. 

dwatry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0606 seconds