Home Open Account Help 324 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Italo vs Trenitalia

Date: 05/25/16 17:15
Italo vs Trenitalia
Author: wzd

I'm helping some friends book tickets from Rome to Florence and Florence to Venice.

They want to go "first class" and like the idea of having a bit of complimentary prosecco.

Not totally clear whether they will get the prosecco on a morning train.

Is FS still a mess to deal with or have things improved?

Any other thoughts on Italo vs Frecciarossa and Frecciaargento.

Thanks for any info.

Date: 05/25/16 17:51
Re: Italo vs Trenitalia
Author: dwatry

I recently booked a complicated trip through the Trenitalia website after I couldn't get the other supposedly better 3rd party websites to do it.  Everything worked out perfectly.  I used Freciarossa - very nice trains. 

Date: 05/25/16 18:00
Author: wzd

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

Date: 05/26/16 00:47

If you are making the reservation from outside of Italy, you will likely need to go to a ticket machine once you are in Italy to print the tickets out.  If the tickets you are buying go from Italy to another country, you may need to go to the Customer Service desk to get the tickets printed.  This all worked smoothly for me.  Have fun - Italian trains are great! 

Watch out for "scioperos" however - scheduled strikes that occur fairly regularly, and are highly choreographed events.  Frecci-series and Eurocity trains generally still operate during the strikes, which generally last 4-8 hours, and are usually well publicized in advance.   The scioperos are usually targetted at one city or one type of service - ironically often at the local public transit, so not affecting the tourists or business travelers, but inconveniencing the strikers' friends and families!  Go figure...

Date: 05/26/16 00:49

BTW - see my 3/26/16 post on the European page for some photos of my Frecciarosa trip during a strike!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0391 seconds