Home Open Account Help 304 users online

International Railroad Discussion > The Ghan in Australia

Date: 05/26/16 09:45
The Ghan in Australia
Author: stevelv

Date: 05/26/16 11:09
Re: The Ghan in Australia
Author: nm2320

Glad to hear the service is so successful. Technical question for Australian train drivers: what type of braking for the Ghan; ECP, blended braking, or direct release like a freight train.Thank you.

Date: 05/26/16 11:30
Author: RNinRVR

OK, they are touting it as the longest passenger train in the world at 44 cars and 3600 feet. I know the Amtrak Auto Train sometimes runs at 50 cars but don't know its length.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 05/26/16 11:47
Author: andersonb109

I wonder how many diners and sittings there are. When I last rode in 1995 we ran with about 18 cars and I thought that was a lot. Perhaps the claim to longest passenger train is due to the fact that only one car is an auto carrier as opposed to the Auto Train where the auto carriers make up more than half the length.

Date: 05/26/16 14:44
Author: BobB

The box by the side of the story says that there are six restaurant carriages (diners) and five lounge carriages.  There are 22 guest carriages, for a total of 33 that actually handle passengers.  The rest are for power, crew, and baggage, presumably including the one that carries automobiles.  I presume that the HEP comes from the power carriage and that the locomotives devote all of their power to moving the train.  I did not see any domes, unfortunately; I don't believe that Australia has them.

Date: 05/27/16 17:06
Author: AussieGWAdriver

The brakes on this train is normal air brakes just like a freight train and the locomotives are equipped with dynamic brake.

HEP is provided by three seperate power vans on this train due to its length. One on each end and one in the middle.

Justin

Date: 05/28/16 12:24
Author: nm2320

Thank you Justin

Date: 05/29/16 03:07
Author: chakk

I believe the Amtrak Auto Train between Lorton, Virginia and Sanford, Florida is quite frequently longer than the 3600 feet length of The Ghan, which this news article claims is the longest passenger train in the world.   Of course, the Auto Train carries not only many passenger carriages, but also the autos for most of the passengers in specially designed and enclosed freight cars attached to the back of the train.

Date: 05/29/16 07:00
Author: tq-07fan

If it is hauling this many passengers all the time maybe they could increase the frequency to more than once a week each way.

Jim

Date: 05/30/16 01:21
Author: MitchGDRMCo

It's a tourist train, not a 'commuter' train. Most people are travelling for pleasure and not business, having worked on the train in the past I very rarely came across people travelling for work.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0368 seconds