Home Open Account Help 384 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Considering Buenos Aires, Argentina for railfanning destination

Date: 06/09/16 21:53
Considering Buenos Aires, Argentina for railfanning destination
Author: Wizard

Need some guidance and input from those who have traveled to Buenos Aires, Argentina. I'm a healthy 52 year old Caucasian male who is a first time passport holder and my girlfriend and I are considering a 7 day vacation to take in sightseeing, recreation, relaxation and potentially some railfanning.  I speak little to no Spanish and my girlfriend does speak some Spanish.  A quick look on the internet says Buenos Aires is one of the safer South American destinations for American tourists to visit.  I'd like to hear from those who have traveled from America to Argentina and what their experiences were, good or bad.  Helpful tips of what to avoid and must see items are also appreciated.  And of course, what the railfanning scene is like in Buenos Aires and the surrounding area say within 60 miles or so such as hot spots, scenic locales and of course rare equipment, semaphores etc.  I'm a complete newby at the idea of railfanning in a foreign land and we're thinking strongly about South America, specifically Buenos Aires account Europe looks to be fairly expensive.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.  And if anyone can direct me to a particular website that can give more insight to my queries is also appreciated.

We will be flying out of the Pacific Northwest as info.

Thanks in advance. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/16 22:00 by Wizard.

Date: 06/10/16 03:04
Re: Considering Buenos Aires, Argentina for railfanning destinati
Author: andersonb109

It's a huge city with horrible traffic. Watch out for pick pockets. They are everywhere. WE had one guy robbed right in front of our hotel in broad daylight. So guard your belongings. As I recall, there are three classic passenger stations all next to each other. Access to platforms was wide open but that was in 2000. Not sure what the situation is now. And there was a top end hotel just across the street. Far superior to the dump that Trains Unlimited had us booked in.

Date: 06/10/16 14:19
Author: Hartington

I've been twice - 2001 and 2013.   The first time, I was in Retiro station, pulled my camera to take apicture of the departure board and got told off.   On the other hand we took a ride on the Tren de la Costa (a sort of interurban) and nobody batted an eyelid when I took a few photos.   The second time in Retiro I was more circumspect/covert and I managed a couple of shots.

It's a huge city and there are some areas that you definitely avoid.   The open top bus tour that was running in 2013 had been split in 2 - if you wanted to ride the second section it was definitely at your own risk.

I think the bottom line for the whole city is take care.   You're not in a western democracy, you're in South America and it's different.   The assumption that photography is accepted is not universally valid.   Your DSLR (if that's what you use) marks you out as "rich", even if you're not.   You can try and blend in but you probably won't succeed.

What's frustrating is that the other parts of the country that I've visited don't feel as difficult as BA.

One last thing.   Driving.   Whatever you do, don't even consider it in BA.   We did drive; Trelew to Puerto Madryn to Peninsula Valdes was unpopu;ated and an easy introduction.   Getting out of Salta into the Andes was a different game.   In the city a grid, all one way streets, badly situated traffic lights, plenty of uncontrolled junctions, the assumption that ANYTHING coming from the right (even a mini motor bike from an alley) has right of way; I concentrated on keeping up with the traffic and not hitting anything whilst my wife called the traffic signals and which way the traffic at the next intersection was coming from.

Date: 06/10/16 20:43
Author: mhugo

Buenos Aires is a big city with all the sharp practices and sharp elbows of a big city.  It has a lot to see and do.  The commuter lines in and out of the city go some distance into the country and inexpensive and fun to ride.  The stamp of British engineering and construction is very pronounced on some of them.  I have found travel outside of Buenos Aires in  Argentina delightful and wold recommend longer train trips to see the country.  The metro in the city is worth exploring.  Have Fun. 

Date: 06/11/16 01:14
Considering Buenos Aires, Argentina for railfanning destination
Author: jeffgeldner

2 E-Mail contacts where they might reply in English- worth a try-
Historic rail museum and railfan information-
amigosdelbelgrano@gmail.com
Historic tram (streetcar) museum operation-
info@tranvia.org.ar 

Jeff G.

Date: 06/11/16 11:58
Author: dwatry

I have been to BA twice and love the city, but some things to be aware of. Previous poster mentioned pickpockets. I have been pickpocketed both trips to BA, but nowhere else In the world, and I have traveled extensively. Just illustrates the skills and pervasiveness of pickpockets there. Be especially aware on the Metro, buses and commuter trains. Keep bags in front of you, passports and important docs under your clothing. Wallets in front pockets, preferably zipped or buttoned, with layer of clothing covering on top.

I have been hassled about photography at the center city stations, but not at stations down the line. They will tell you you need to get a permit, but the permits are unattainable. Better to move to a level crossing, an overbridge, or a suburban station.

Several of the lines had (or may still have) Alco locos pulling the suburban trains. They are export versions of RSD-15s, I believe. Fantastic show. 3 gauges of suburban trains, so no shortage of services to ride.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/12/16 13:04
Author: 86235

Haven't been to Buenos Aires for a few years but I had a ball each time I was there. I think it's a railfan paradise.

There are six city centre terminal stations, three of which, as has been mentioned, are next door to each other at Retiro. Plaza Constitution, Once and Federico Lacroze are the others. Four are broad gauge, one standard and one metre. All are accessible via the underground or 'Subte'.

The largest of the three stations at Retiro, the former Central Argentine terminal, had a wonderful pre WW1 electro pneumatic semaphore signalling system.

Date: 06/12/16 20:46
Author: Wizard

Thanks to all those who have responded to my post.  I appreciate your time, effort and replies.  I am now considering going to Antofagasta, Chile to photograph the FCAB Railroad and I have started a new post.

Again, thanks for your time and responses.

Date: 06/13/16 17:07
Author: pedrop

Of you want railroad action in South America, come to Brasil. My area is well served of ore railroads and other cargos. See my posts here in TO.

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0512 seconds