Home Open Account Help 366 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Rail in Italy

Date: 06/25/16 12:09
Rail in Italy
Author: 2ebright

Next month my family and I will be traveling round trip between Rome and Naples. Can one of you tell me if checked baggage service is available on this route. And while I'm at it, any tips for me regarding the trip?

Dick
From Utah

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/16 12:50 by 2ebright.

Date: 06/25/16 15:23
Re: Rail in Italy
Author: mundo

Suggest you research in.  Takes time, but lots of information.

http://www.seat61.com/news.htm#.V27_9U1THX5

Date: 06/25/16 16:23
Author: andersonb109

Have a back up plan in case of a strike.  "Industrial Action" as it's called in Europe happens frequently in Italy. But normally they don't last long and can be limited to only a few departures while others on the same line might run. If you are using trains frequently, invest in a rail pass for just Italy. It might be cheaper than a bunch of individual tickets and gives you the freedom to take any train you want without advance purchase for a specific train.

Date: 06/26/16 10:46
Author: Hartington

Checked baggage?   That's not something I've ever seen in Europe.

Date: 06/26/16 11:51
Author: cricketer8for9

No.

Date: 06/26/16 22:31
Author: SOO6617

Hartington Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Checked baggage?   That's not something I've ever
> seen in Europe.

SBB offers the service from Zürich and Geneve airports to select stations. I think that RhB does between Chur and Davos, and St. Moritz also.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/luggage-and-flight-luggage.marketingurl_$$$baggage.html

However such service is not offered in Italy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/16 22:38 by SOO6617.

Date: 06/27/16 20:16
Author: ValvePilot

Be very careful in and about Naples.
In general the further you go south (Milan to Naples) things can and do happen!
It used to be that bringing onto a city bus a suitcase in Italy incurred an extra charge.
If you see gypsy kids heading your way be prepared..........
Have Fun.

Date: 06/28/16 06:03
Author: 2ebright

Thanks very much for the Naples advice. I had already read about the thieves and pickpockets there and am more or less prepared for them. We will be taking a private van from Naples to Sorrento, so the big worry for me will be the train station in Naples. So, how does this old guy from rural Utah recognize Gypsy kids? We don't have many of them in Utah!!

Dick

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/16 06:21 by 2ebright.

Date: 06/28/16 11:42
Author: reindeerflame

2ebright Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks very much for the Naples advice. I had
> already read about the thieves and pickpockets
> there and am more or less prepared for them. We
> will be taking a private van from Naples to
> Sorrento, so the big worry for me will be the
> train station in Naples. So, how does this old guy
> from rural Utah recognize Gypsy kids? We don't
> have many of them in Utah!!
>
> Dick

Best travel tip: no wallet in back pocket.  Period. 

Put the wallet away, and carry enough cash in a shirt pocket for incidentals.

Also: pack as light as possible.  Most Americans overpack.  In my experience, enjoyment of your train journey in Europe is inversely proportional to the amount of luggage you carry.  Checked baggage?  As they say in Jersey, forget about it, or words to that effect.

Finally, the OP explained he is taking one rail roundtrip in Italy.  This is not a suitable trip for a rail pass.  Rail passes are increasingly expensive and inconvenient to use for all except extremely heavy users of the service.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/16 11:48 by reindeerflame.

Date: 06/30/16 19:15
Author: ValvePilot

One of their tricks is to swarm you (surround you) wrap cardboard around you, then reach under the wrappings
and strip you of your rings, bracelets and whatever they can steal. Although the above example is a bit extreme,
other tricks can be accomplished in the blink of an eye. Another common form of thieverly is the use of a motor
scooter: they shoot past you at high speed and grap your shoulder bag. This can be common. Most Italians
are quite friendly but there is an element in italy that you have to be aware of.
Also a warning about the French Riviera. Try not to sit on park benches, bus-stop benches and be very aware of 
who sits next to you on a city bus. The old days are gone. Most of the crime in that area is committed by Algerians
so be very careful.

Date: 07/01/16 00:42
Author: cricketer8for9

Worth learning a bit of railway Italian. Train times are in the 24 hour clock. Each intercity train had a letter prefix and number. Platform, or track, is binario. Napoli Centrale (soft c and pronounce all the vowels separately) is a head end station, so all people head off from the front of the train. If you are getting picked up tell the driver which platform you will be arriving at, and on which train (number and time). See if he cAn wait for you at the platform entrance.

Napoli is not Utah. It's often hot, very busy and apparently chaotic. It is densely populated. It does function, and has a very diverse railway network, with 4 funiculars, all used by ordinary passengers and so not just for tourists, an underground system with a spiral, a significant suburban 950mm railway system, trams and trolleybuses.

Date: 07/05/16 15:51
Author: symph1

2ebright Wrote:
 We
> will be taking a private van from Naples to
> Sorrento, so the big worry for me will be the
> train station in Naples.
>
> Dick

Maybe I'm niave, or maybe just lucky. We've been to Naples/Pompeii/Sorrento twice and never had any trouble. We rode the local railway, Circumvesuviana, Naples to Pompeii round trip, Sorrento to Pompeii round trip, and Sorrento to Naples. Lots cheaper than a private van.

http://www.napoliunplugged.com/naples-circumvesuviana-railway

Be sure to get out to Amalfi, though the bus ride can be crazy. If you have extra time, take the train to Sicily. They put the whole train on the ferry, and you can get off and watch the process from quite close.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0766 seconds