Home Open Account Help 330 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Sri Lanka - diesel multiple unit

Date: 08/27/16 10:12
Sri Lanka - diesel multiple unit
Author: johnmday

Sri Lankan Railways have had fits and starts of modernization, depending on which nation is try to gain favor with the local government.   55 years ago, Canada supplied GMD G12 locos under the "Colombo Plan" - most of these are still in service, proudly displaying the names of Canadian provinces and cities.   Lately, though, it is the Chinese that have provided equipment, along with promises to upgrade track and signalling.

High in the mountains, Demodara station (elevation 912 meter; the summit on this line is 1,993 meters or 6,538 feet) has a complete spiral.   

In the photo, Chinese-built S12 class trainset has passed under the station in a tunnel, and will shortly reappear behind the photographer at station level.   Photo taken February 2016.

Note the working lower quadrant semaphore which clears the train into the station.   Signalling is based on British practice of 100 years ago.   My other photos show the interior of a typical "Signal Box" as well as a station master hooping up the token which entitles the train to occupy the single track to the next station.

Date: 08/27/16 10:15
Re: Sri Lanka - diesel multiple unit

Another photo from Sri Lanka.   The Right-away is given from a "guard" wearing a vintage uniform; behind is the station master in the current, very smart, white uniform.  Obviously there's a lot of laundering done in this country.

Date: 08/27/16 11:38
Author: dwatry

Really interesting photos.  I'm not sure that train is a DMU, however - it looks like 2 diesel power cars (one on each end) with unpowered cars in between.  The Sri Lankan version of an HST 125 perhaps. 

Date: 08/27/16 12:53

Point taken but the railway refers to these and similar trains as DMU's.  

Here is an S11 class built in India.  Not very pretty.  Also another S12 being driven enthusiastically out of Rambukkana.  

Date: 08/28/16 12:01
Author: GettingShort

Great pictitures! Thanks. Sri Lanka is high on my list of countries I want to visit. 

Date: 08/29/16 21:01
Author: 9E56

I visited Sri Lanka earlier this year, specifically to ride and photograph the trains, and I certainly wasn't disappointed! There's great variety in locomotives and scenery, and the railway staff are genuinely friendly and helpful. There are no issues with taking photographs or trespassing, just as long as you show you know what you're doing and you're not compromising your personal safety. You'll also find the railway police extremely accommodating. They know a tourist with a camera, photographing a locomotive, does not constitute a security risk. Make sure you spend some time in and around Kandy. I'll definitely be going back there. 

Date: 08/30/16 15:20

9E56 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> There are no issues with ...
> trespassing...

Indeed.  

You can ride in the doorways or sit on the steps, too, if you like.  A far cry from being chased out of the vestibule in North America.  

And if there's a steam loco around, there'll inevitably be selfies.

Date: 09/01/16 19:19
Author: westfalen

Another country to add to my list of places to go.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0813 seconds