Home Open Account Help 305 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Planning a Rovos trip

Date: 09/26/16 14:17
Planning a Rovos trip
Author: CNWJim

Travelling Johannesburg to Dar es Salam next year. Can anyone reccommend books to read regarding the construction and history of the route?

Date: 09/27/16 03:22
Re: Planning a Rovos trip
Author: andersonb109

I'm sure someone else can answer about something to read about the line. You will have a lecturer on board and one of the lectures deals with the line's history and construction.  Note, you will be departing from Capital Park at Pretoria. The train doesn't stop or even run through Johannesburg. It actually starts in Cape Town but assume like me a few years ago, you are joining late to save time.  I've done it twice. A great but very slow trip on some of the worst train (in Zambia) I've ever encountered.  Advice, do not plan a same day flight departure from Dar if possible. That said, if really late, Rovos will make arrangements to bus passengers to the airport for late night flights back to Europe.

Date: 09/27/16 12:44

Thanks for responding.
I totally misspoke. Yes. Leaving from Capetown. Expect bad track and great food. Excellent advice on booking return flight. Hadn't figured delays in.
You might have saved us bigtime with that one.
Looking forward to the trip.

Date: 09/27/16 15:02
Author: King_Coal

That will be quite a trip! I hope you get a chance to share on TO.

Date: 09/28/16 14:55

I'll try to shoot what I can. Hopefully some good shots of his steam facility if we stop there.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds