Home Open Account Help 368 users online

International Railroad Discussion > First Post of First Train I photographed in New Zealand

Date: 10/12/16 02:51
First Post of First Train I photographed in New Zealand
Author: tq-07fan

My dad and I flew from San Francisco to Auckland New Zealand leaving Sunday night and arriving Tuesday morning due to crossing the International Date Line. For our first hours of our time in the Southern Hemisphere we took the 380 bus from the Auckland Airport to a laundromat and returned before flying to Dunedin which is in the south end of the South Island. To get reset to New Zealand time I went to bed early last night and started fresh and on the correct time this morning. After riding another bus to get a power cord with the New Zealand prong arrangement I got my dad and we walked to the lovely Dunedin Railway Station to board the Taieri Gorge Railway. Although the DJ Class was on our train I can count my first moving train in New Zealand as a local move of containers pulled by a DSG Class locomotive built in 1981 according to NZ Rail Photos. I leave you with only this one as it is time to go to bed here. I should end up with plenty more before our ten days are up here. 

Thank you for looking!

Jim

Date: 10/12/16 10:29
Re: First Post of First Train I photographed in New Zealand
Author: chefjavier

Thanks for sharing! 

Javier Ortiz
Dallas, TX

Date: 10/12/16 17:31
Author: Latebeans

Dunedin was perhaps my favorite town on the south island and the railway station alone is worth a visit. I think you will also enjoy your ride on the Taieri Gorge Railway. My wife and I certainly did. New Zealand is also the home of the world's best white wines.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/12/16 20:07
Author: OliveHeights

I hope you post a photo of the Dunedin Station, it is one of the most impressive I have seen.

Date: 10/13/16 00:29
Author: tq-07fan

OliveHeights Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hope you post a photo of the Dunedin Station, it
> is one of the most impressive I have seen.

We get to stay the weekend in Wellington. I hope to rest a little there and maybe catch up on picture posting.

Latebeans Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dunedin was perhaps my favorite town on the south
> island and the railway station alone is worth a
> visit. I think you will also enjoy your ride on
> the Taieri Gorge Railway. My wife and I certainly
> did. New Zealand is also the home of the world's
> best white wines.
>
> Posted from Android

Hi Latebeans. I actually used some of your posts from your trip to help form my plans in New Zealand.

Unfortunately I had to do the fast visit to New Zealand so I don't have much time anywhere except Wellington. Taieri Gorge is fun ride and of course very scenic. My dad and I got on the Atomic Bus to Christchurch right after the Taieri Gorge train ride so I only had an overnight stay in Dunedin. Today we rode across the Alps and return but I did a little pick up train spotting in Christchurch after that. The bulk of the pictures I will post later on.

Not into wine but the chocolate from Dunedin is certainly great!

Jim

Date: 10/13/16 19:06
Author: icancmp193

For many years, one of my customers was the model railroad club in Dunedin. Not sure where it is or if they keep hours, but they love American prototypes!

Tom Y

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0574 seconds