Home Open Account Help 392 users online

International Railroad Discussion > An NZR DSC Class in low light tonight is allright

Date: 10/13/16 01:10
An NZR DSC Class in low light tonight is allright
Author: tq-07fan

My dad and I are staying at the Arena Hotel here in Christchurch New Zealand. The innkeeper is almost too helpful and came to pick us up from the nearby train station without having to ring her. My dad rode back to the nearby hotel but I elected to walk toward downtown Christchurch, hopefully catching a bus on the way. Well I spotted a bus depot (or garage, not sure what they call them in New Zealand) and went to get a picture. Instead I got a through the fence shot of a DCP class on a freight but not as good a shot if I had poked the camera through a different part of the fence. I walked back across Moorehouse Ave and missed a DSC class shunter that had been at the Christchurch station when the Trans-Alpine we rode came in. I continued to Lincoln Rd where I went and checked out some ancient searchlight signals on masts.. At Grove Rd there were more on an overhead signal gantry all of which I took pictures of but will post later. I waited around a bit and started to take off when I heard the bells for the crossing gates go off. I ran back in time and ended up getting the DSC Class shunter from the late 1950's with part of the Trans-Alpine equipment on a deadhead move under the searchlight signals. Those signals are from The Siemens And General Electric Railway Signal Co. London England. I doubt there are many of those left so I am glad I took a little time to railfan Christchurch. 

Thank you for Looking!

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/16 02:18 by tq-07fan.

Date: 10/13/16 01:26
Re: A DSC Class in low light is allright
Author: ajgreen

Hi ya.

You coming North to Blenheim & Picton (top of the South Island)?

Allister

Blenheim.
New Zealand.

Date: 10/13/16 01:58

Yes, we will be riding the Coastal Pacific tomorrow (Friday to Picton and the ferryboat onto Wellington. I only had enough holiday time for ten days in New Zealand and allocated three of those to Wellington mainly to see the trolleybuses before they are withdrawn from service next year. Not enough time down here for sure.

Jim

Date: 10/14/16 00:01
Author: RogersPass

Hello Jim,
Welcome to our lovely country. Q, How far north are you planing on going after Wellington??
I live in Pukekohe which is just south, (one hour)  of Auckland city.I hope you get alot of Photos
around Wellington with cars going on and off the Rail ferry.
If you have time do a run up to Marsterton and you would have been though two of New Zealands
longest tunnels with the first been the Otira on the Trans Alpine.The other does not have passanger
trains go though.
Enjoy your Holiday and thanks for posting the Photos..

Cheers Brian..

Date: 10/14/16 02:16

Hello Brian

I stay in Wellington until Tuesday morning then we ride the Northern Explorer up to Auckland. We stay in Auckland until the afternoon on Wednesday then hire (rent) a car and drive back to Hamilton returning to Auckland Thursday and flying home from there that afternoon. Do plan to follow the tracks and drive through Pukekohe at least one way.

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds