Home Open Account Help 229 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Back Home Again or m last ride on 42 inch gauge track for a while

Date: 10/20/16 22:30
Back Home Again or m last ride on 42 inch gauge track for a while
Author: tq-07fan

Sadly my trip to New Zealand is done. I hired a car and drove to Hamilton but did not get to do near the amount of train spotting / railfanning I had hoped to do with a car for a day. I lost time with being given a free upgrade to a Toyota Highlander that I feel is a large vehicle to drive on the side of the road I am used to but was nearly impossible for me to drive on the left side of the road so it was quickly returned. Better safe than sorry. I was especially nervous since I almost hit a city bus in a school zone in the first five minutes, it would have been an interesting thing for the busdriver to tell, being hit by a US bus driver of all things. Instead we went to the Rentadent almost next door and got a Mitsubishi Colt, which I got comfortable with driving in only a couple blocks. Anyways, time was lost unfortunately on the Wednesday but the good news was after returning the car to the carhire we rode from Grafton to Newmarket then Newmarket to Onehunga on the Auckland AT commuter train network. The trains at Onehunga make an easy connection with the 380 bus to the Auckland airport. 
1) During the midday trains from Brittomart to Grafton and the Western Line come into Newmarket and reverse directions making an easy transfer possible/
2) AT Commuter train from Brittomart to Onehunga. I think this was the same train that we had rode from Grafton but switching at Newmarket allowed us to use the toilets at Newmarket while waiting.
3) Khyber Pass Rd exit sign taken from the train. I had drove under this sign less than a half hour before. If you want to hire a car in Auckland Rentadent and Thrifty are on Khyber Pass Rd near the Grafton station.

Date: 10/20/16 22:31
Re: Back Home Again or m last ride on 42 inch gauge track for a w
Author: tq-07fan

It is late here in the Eastern Time Zone of the United States but of course I am still on New Zealand time at this point. When I get rested up I will post more rail related pictures from our ten days over there.
4) Onehunga Train Station and AT Commuter train/
5) Onehunga Bus Stop a short walk through the carpark
6) Airporter bus to Auckland Airport. There is a much more expensive express bus direct to the city centre but the train bus combo is more fun and less than half the cost when using an AT Hop Card/

Thank You for Looking! 

Jim

Date: 11/07/16 05:54
Re: Back Home Again or m last ride on 42 inch gauge track for a w
Author: E25

So when did the Khyber Pass get relocated from Pakistan to New Zealand?  :>)

Nice report and photos.

-- Greg

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds