Home Open Account Help 398 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Little Swiss Steamers

Date: 10/22/16 20:00
Little Swiss Steamers
Author: pmack

While perusing Railpictures site I came across some small Swiss steam engines.  They are 0-6-0 but have not tender or saddle tanks.  They are classed E 3/3 which seems to be an electrically heated steam engine used in the Second World War.  While there is a trolley wire, they don't seem connected to it at all. Photo #576874 shows two of them in steam in May 2016 but with build dates of 1893 and 1899.  Where did they carry fuel and water?  They are at the Association Zürcher Museumsbahn whose website is not in a language I can read.  They are cute little guys and any info would be appreciated. 

Date: 10/24/16 06:18
Re: Little Swiss Steamers
Author: Hartington

During WW2 the Swiss Federal Railway fitted two locos with pantographs and electric water heaters.   These two, I think.   They were reasonably successful but not enough to warrant more conversions.   There's a wonky pedia article search for -- elrctric steam locomotive

Date: 10/24/16 22:06
Re: Little Swiss Steamers
Author: SOO6617

pmack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While perusing Railpictures site I came across
> some small Swiss steam engines.  They are 0-6-0
> but have not tender or saddle tanks.  They are
> classed E 3/3 which seems to be an electrically
> heated steam engine used in the Second World War.
>  While there is a trolley wire, they don't seem
> connected to it at all. Photo #576874 shows two of
> them in steam in May 2016 but with build dates of
> 1893 and 1899.  Where did they carry fuel and
> water?  They are at the Association Zürcher
> Museumsbahn whose website is not in a language I
> can read.  They are cute little guys and any info
> would be appreciated. 

The two locomotives are 0-6-0WT meaning that they have well tanks, the water tank is under the boiler between the locomotive's frames. Posting this on the European forum would have gotten an faster response as I don't check this forum as often.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/16 22:08 by SOO6617.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds