Home Open Account Help 237 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Random Japan September 2016

Date: 12/07/16 00:57
Random Japan September 2016
Author: bakersfielddave

a few various rail scenes from around Japan recently

this one a single car on the Yubari branch in rural Hokkaido  the line will close in a few years i had heard

some stored Juice Jacks and Steeple Cabs in western Japan most likely never to run again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/16 01:46 by bakersfielddave.

Date: 12/07/16 01:48
Re: Random Japan September 2016
Author: bakersfielddave

Last type of Double Decker Shinkansens left in service dont know how much longer these will last

Date: 12/08/16 14:37
Author: CPRR

Like the juice and steeple jacks. What gauge?

Date: 12/09/16 16:28
Author: zorz

3'6"

Date: 12/09/16 21:35
Author: cchan006

bakersfielddave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> some stored Juice Jacks and Steeple Cabs in
> western Japan most likely never to run again

Thanks for sharing what looks like a yard shot of the Ohmi Railway... at Hikone Station?

The two steeple cabs with tiny cab windows seem to be ED31s. The box cabs are ED14s, manufactured in the U.S. by GE (General Electric) and exported to Japan in 1926.

Parent company of Ohmi Railway is Seibu Group who also run a very busy Seibu Railway in western Tokyo. For those familiar with the movie, "Shall We Dance?" Seibu Railway is featured in it.

People who want to dig a little deeper into Seibu Group will be thoroughly entertained. They own a baseball team (Seibu Lions), often championship caliber, plus they were involved in numerous financial scandals, as well as a CEO who was world's richest man (briefly) during the economic bubble in the late 1980s. 

Date: 12/10/16 14:47
Author: Harlock

Nice, I like the lawn track shots.

One of the most pleasant rides I have taken in Japan is from the Shinkansen stop up at Utsonomia and then transfer to Nikko to see the temples. That is a classic rural line with that nostalgic feel. Sparsely populated cars, low speeds and interesting scenery.

I hope to take my wife and stepdaughter there some day.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0519 seconds