Home Open Account Help 298 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Kyoto Railroad Museum

Date: 02/17/17 14:07
Kyoto Railroad Museum
Author: bakersfielddave

a brief  look at the  Kyoto Rail Museum

a full day would need to be set aside to take in everything here

covers items from the earliest railroads in Japan to the newest they have covered everything for the curious

a  huge  restaurant  area is situated looking over the main  JR lines  as well

every railfan visiting Japan must see this Museum 

i took a taxi out there from the Kyoto main JR  station and had a 20 minute walk back there later

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/19/17 07:51
Re: Kyoto Railroad Museum
Author: cchan006

bakersfielddave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>   i took a taxi out there from the Kyoto main JR
>  station and had a 20 minute walk back there
> later

It's ironic that the museum is surrounded by railroad tracks (in middle of a wye) and revenue trains run aplenty, yet public transit access is mediocre for Japanese standards... no bus depot nearby either. I've even done the walk from Tanbaguchi, the closest station to the north, and it still takes about 15 minutes walk - about the same distance as the crow flies, but straighter line.

Thanks for posting the video. It's a major makeover from the steam-centric Umekoji Museum. I recognize some of the rolling stock from Osaka's Transportation Museum which is now closed. I had plans to visit the newly renovated museum last May, but I was too busy chasing trains and ran out of time.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.03 seconds