Home Open Account Help 297 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Chile -- Saturday train Santiago to the coast

Date: 02/26/17 16:18
Chile -- Saturday train Santiago to the coast
Author: WP17

We've just returned from a month long cruise around South America. We disembarked in Valaparaiso and spent a few days with friends in Santiago. My host, a long-time avid rail photographer, suggested we chase the Saturday only tourist train that runs from Santiago to San Antonio on the Pacific Ocean. The train is operated by the state railway -- Empressa Ferrocarril Esatado -- and comprises cars from a variety of heritages and times, and apparently is quite popular. It carries passengers from Santiago to the coast where it lays over of 4 hours before returning.

This train is led by one of the railroad's French built switchers -- not a favorite of my host.  On occasion it uses more interesting leased FEPASA power but not this time.

Because of time constraints and slow traffic on the motorway, we managed to shoot it at just two locations. Sorry but I can't provide much detail about the locations

WP17

Date: 02/26/17 16:44
Re: Chile -- Saturday train Santiago to the coast
Author: darkcloud

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/17 15:10 by darkcloud.

Date: 02/27/17 08:15
Author: Hartington

When I took a 2 week cruise from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires in a January the itinerary said we would circle Cape Horn but the weather didn't allow it.   Our next stop after Ushaia was Stanley on the Falklands.   It was a slightly rough crossing but we got to the islands and went ashore OK.   We were told that the cruise ship due the previous day had had to abandon the stop because of the weather.   "Down there" you can nevr predict what the weather will do!

Date: 02/27/17 08:22

Our ship, Cunard's Queen Victoria, transited as scheduled the Straits for Magellan westward with a port of call in Punta Arenas.

We did notice rough waters once we exited the straits into the Pacific Ocean -- somewhat iroinc given how the ocean was named by the first explorers:-)

WP17

darkcloud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How rough was the cruise around Cape Horn?
>
> Edit:  Or I guess it is more likely you went
> through the Strait of Magellan?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/17 08:22 by WP17.

Date: 03/01/17 21:50
Author: dan

nice pics

Date: 03/03/17 12:23
Author: march_hare

Is that an Alco export unit trailing?

Date: 03/04/17 03:27
Author: 86235

march_hare Wrote:
> Is that an Alco export unit trailing?

Yes, one of the Alco / GE shovelnose D16.000 class which EFE used on passenger & freight away from the electrified zone. The passenger operation still uses them for special workings.

Date: 03/04/17 14:48

Nick nailed it. The 16005 to be exact

WP17

86235 Wrote:
> march_hare Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Is that an Alco export unit trailing?
>
> Yes, one of the Alco / GE shovelnose D16.000 class
> which EFE used on passenger & freight away from
> the electrified zone. The passenger operation
> still uses them for special workings.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0651 seconds