Home Open Account Help 308 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Costa Rica follow up

Date: 02/26/17 15:28
Costa Rica follow up
Author: rfdatalink

After a few replies to my questions on operations in the San Jose area a couple months ago, I just returned from my trip and have a few pictures to share.     On the last night of our trip we stayed at the Hampton Inn near the airport and I was pleased find that indeed trains were operating all the way west to Alajuela.   We didn't have car so I didn't range very far, but trains we running roughly every hour from 5 to 7 or 8 at night.     All I saw were the former Spanish DMUs re-gauged to 3' 6".     I have not been able to find a timetable online.   I did find an android app that at least listed these stations, but didn't show trains running nearly as early and late as I saw them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/17 16:36 by rfdatalink.

Date: 02/26/17 15:36
Re: Costa Rica follow up

About 10 miles west of the airport is a small rail museum in the town of Rio Grande.     We got our driver to make a quick stop there to take a few photos and walk out to the impressive bridge over the river.     I understand this section of railroad has not been operated in may years.

Date: 02/26/17 16:08
Author: LTCerny

Gauge in Costa Rica is 3ft 6 in

Date: 02/26/17 16:41

Corrected to 3' 6" in the original post.

Date: 02/26/17 16:43
Author: usmc1401

The last photo has what looks like one of the electric locomotives.

Date: 02/26/17 21:31
Author: inCHI

Neat shots, but strange to see an electric no where near catenary!

Date: 02/26/17 22:36
Author: JimBaker

The Mystery Electric on the spare track looks to be No. 27.
The Motors are numbered in the 200 series from pictures I have seen here on TO.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 02/27/17 05:40

I should have posted a picture of the electric locomotive at the museum.    First photo is of the 127 which does look odd sitting there with no catenary in sight.    
The second shot is a poor quality grab shot from the bus of the railway terminal near Puerto Caldera on the Pacific coast.    It looks like it would have been an interesting place to visit.

Date: 02/27/17 08:07
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

What's the function of the tubing array on the side of loco 127 between the 127s? Heat transfer from what?

Date: 02/27/17 08:16
Author: 86235

Lurch_in_ABQ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's the function of the tubing array on the
> side of loco 127 between the 127s? Heat transfer
> from what?

Cooling the transformers - it was a 15000v AC system based on German technology.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0693 seconds