Home Open Account Help 341 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Arica - La Paz train

Date: 05/26/04 10:42
Arica - La Paz train
Author: geoffm

Has anybody here taken this train? I saw it on Michael Palin's Full Circle programme on TV. It looks fascinating if long, slow, and exhausting. I believe it is the world's highest railway?

Any comments, information appreciated.

Geoff M.

Date: 05/29/04 16:10
Re: Arica - La Paz train
Author: DWBrown

Heavly damaged in a flash flood in canyon above the Atacoma desert in 2000 (?). During a TUT tour to Arica in June 2001 the railroad was shutdown in Arica. HOwever the higher portions were reportly operating.

The Chilien Government had not authorized complete rebuilding. At that time in 2001, the plan was to truck cargo to Arica from the active end of the railroad.

The rail line is also the duty free access for Bolivian cargo to Arica. This was part of the peace agreement of the Pacific War between Chile, Bolivia and Peru. The FCALP was built for the use of the Bolivia to access the Pacific. Bolivia lost it's port facilities in the war as part of the peace agreement. Arica was a Peruvian City and the Tacna and Arica line is operated by Peru as it's duty free line to Arica as part of the peace agreement. The T-A Railroad was damaged by the flood also.

One of the FCALP bridges was being used as a highway bridge with rails still intact.

I don't know if any more work has been done on the line. The FCALP passenger train was trapped in Arica and stored in the station. We did not see any FCALP locomotives at the Arica station in 2001.

Dale Brown

Date: 06/01/04 10:57

That's a shame. I couldn't Google anything much on the subject, so this was a bit of a surprise to me.

Many thanks for the information.

Geoff M.

Date: 06/01/04 20:40

Also check out a new magazine that is based in Argentina, Latin Tracks for more information on South America.

Try email: Tracks @sinectis.com.ar

Dale Brown

Date: 06/02/04 11:12

Great, thanks for that.

Geoff M.

Date: 06/18/04 21:34

I just recieved information that a Argentine Railroad Magazine reported that the Arica-LaPaz was reopened to Arica. Freight and Passenger business is operating again.

Recently a lot of Passenger service has been reinstated in Argentina. I am not sure of the amount in Chile. I saw a schedule that reports that the broad gauge line is still operating to Llay Llay some sort of passenger service. That would connect to the closed Transandino route to Argentina.

Dale

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0515 seconds