Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Railfan Technology > Massive Radio Shack Store Closing

Date: 06/21/06 16:13
Massive Radio Shack Store Closing
Author: Bryan_

Date: 06/21/06 17:39
Re: Massive Radio Shack Store Closing
Author: Bryan_

This is what I bought for $35 today at the closing Radio Shack. Included are three $10 off coupons, so it's like I got this all for $5!

At the top are several AA cell holders (1, 2 and 4 cell) for projects. Going clockwise from there are NiMH charger and 9V NiMH battery, fuses and fuse holders, RCA plugs, coaxial power plugs, DB-9 connectors and hoods, coax seal, audio plugs, and four pairs of snap on RF chokes.

If I had a little more money I would have just dumped all the parts drawers on the counter.

Date: 06/21/06 17:47
Author: karlj

Good score! And a good heads up. I may have to cruise through my local RS for a look-see.

Date: 06/21/06 18:46
Author: brianf425

Bryan_ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> You might want to check your local
> store(s) to see if they are affected.

I was reading on another web board today, that is focused on electronic hobbyists, and they were warning that Radio Shack was also getting out of the electronic component parts business.

Date: 06/21/06 18:49
Author: K3HX

Other places for good deals on electonic components:

Do a google search for:

Mouser Electronics

Digi-Key

All Electronics (surplus house, good folks)

Electronic Goldmine (surplus house)

Dan's Small Parts

Be Well,

Tim Colbert K3HX

Date: 06/21/06 19:04
Author: cn6218

brianf425 Wrote:
> I was reading on another web board today, that is
> focused on electronic hobbyists, and they were
> warning that Radio Shack was also getting out of
> the electronic component parts business.

They got out of all business in Canada about a year ago.

All the Radio Shacks became "The Source - by Circuit City", although most if not all the stock stayed the same.

I first visited a Radio Shack back in the early '70s, just after they had merged with Allied, and were known as Allied-Radio Shack. For a kid in jr. high school, it was an amazing place, until I discovered the "serious" places to get electronic components, like Digi-Key and Electro-Sonic. They did seem to be a good place to pick up small PC boards though, right til the end.

GTD

Date: 06/22/06 10:55
Author: AndyElliston

My local Rat Shack (as I affectionately call them) also closed recently and I stocked up on all kinds of parts. It was pretty much the only time one could get actual decent prices on component parts there. I am not worried in the least that they may stop selling components, there are far better places to get them. But, I must say the local RS does well in a pinch if a part is needed immediately, but their selection as of late was pretty poor and prices outrageous. They obviously don't cater to the hobbyist anymore, or is it that no one wants to tinker anymore? I don't know, maybe those of us that like to build stuff are a dying breed...

-Andy

Date: 06/23/06 00:14
Author: csxt4617

hmm...I see one local to me closing too...guess I'll have to make a trip there soon ;)

Date: 06/23/06 13:49
Author: Frisco1522

I would call first. I looked on their web site and saw one about 25 miles from me that was closing with giant sales. Drove over and it was already gone and boarded up. What a waste of time and gas and I kicked myself for not calling first.

Date: 06/23/06 18:34
Author: csxt4617

Frisco1522 Wrote:
> I would call first. I looked on their web site
> and saw one about 25 miles from me that was
> closing with giant sales. Drove over and it was
> already gone and boarded up. What a waste of
> time and gas and I kicked myself for not calling first.

yea, I guess the one close to me is already closed too.

Date: 06/25/06 12:35
Author: DaveD

cn6218 Wrote:

> I first visited a Radio Shack back in the early
> '70s, just after they had merged with Allied, and
> were known as Allied-Radio Shack. For a kid in
> jr. high school, it was an amazing place, until I
> discovered the "serious" places to get electronic
> components, like Digi-Key and Electro-Sonic. They
> did seem to be a good place to pick up small PC
> boards though, right til the end.

Agreed, that they have been pretty worthless for a number of years already. Though there are rare times when they still come in handy... I needed an RF modulator for a weird DBS setup I was trying to wire, and they actually had the exact one I needed. Everything I saw online was more money or wrong.

I use to go there in the 70's as a kid as well... Primarily for CB stuff. It's mostly sentimental now, but I'll kind of miss the original stores.

Dave
http://www.dpdproductions.com
- Featuring the TrainTenna Railroad Scanner Antennas -

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0945 seconds