Home Open Account Help 389 users online

Railfan Technology > Run 8 Question

Date: 03/10/14 17:23
Run 8 Question
Author: stacktrain

I havent purchased the original Mojave Sub. I see on their website that they have the Needles sub, do I need to purchase the Mohave sub in order to run the Needles sub?

Date: 03/10/14 19:50
Re: Run 8 Question
Author: ironmtn

The Mojave sub is the core simulator, and is required for the Needles Sub.

There is this statement on Run 8's site, www.run8studios.com, on the Run 8 Basics page: "BNSF Needles Sub (This is a route addon for Run8 and requires the BNSF Mojave Sub)." Yup, it's kind of buried on their site.

That has always been my understanding from discussion on other railsim-related sites as well. I started with the Mojave Sub shortly after it first came out, so the expansion on to Needles was a natural progression for me. But I have also understood that it is the primary, core simulation application as well. It includes the basic cars and locomotives, which I do not believe come with the Needles Sub, so that's another important aspect. You do want to have trains to run, after all.

Bottom line: get the Mojave Sub first, then go on from there.

MC
Columbia, Missouri

Date: 03/10/14 21:20
Author: stacktrain

Thanks MC, I will be picking that up next

Date: 03/10/14 21:32
Author: msdgbar

I ordered Run 8 today. I just hope upon hope that it doesn't have the glitches crashes and error messages that the old defunct MSTS simulator had.

Date: 03/11/14 05:14
Author: ironmtn

msdgbar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I ordered Run 8 today. I just hope upon hope that
> it doesn't have the glitches crashes and error
> messages that the old defunct MSTS simulator had.

I think you will find it to be quite stable. That has been my experience, and also of many others with whom I have met online and in multiplayer sessions.

The initial learning curve is a bit steep. Not quirky or inconsistent, just full-featured, and all of that takes a bit to get used to. Read the documentation (which is admittedly not the best, and just adequate), and feel free to ask around. The Basics page on their site has been gradually expanded, and is useful. Once you get used to the basic operational functionality, then practice, practice, practice. Run in Piglet (beginner) mode (set off the F1 key) for a while until you get good and comfortable and can run consistently before you move up to Hogger mode (expert), especially in the mountains. The train handling demands in Hogger mode are amplified considerably. And be sure you feel good and comfortable before you join an organized multiplayer session. You don't want to mess up the railroad due to inexperience there any more than you do in real life. Maybe join one of the 24x7 servers like the DAMS server for some "pickup" multiplayer practice before you join one of the big organized sessions. The 24x7 servers like DAMS are also a good place to ask questions in a more relaxed environment. People are generally quite friendly, glad to answer questions and help as long as you keep the Q&A level reasonable and don't overdo it.

And I hope you find it to be worthwhile. I think you will.

MC
Columbia, Missouri

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0481 seconds