Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Railfan Technology > Yaesu FT-270R - How to set up for scanning?

Date: 03/26/14 01:33
Yaesu FT-270R - How to set up for scanning?
Author: refarkas

I just ordered a Yaesu FT-270R and was wondering if there is a special set of instructions for setting it up as a scanner. Since I am not a ham radio operator, I just want to program in railroad channels. I also ordered Yaesu ADMS-270 software. I thought I would ask before I got the FT-270R, so I would not try and set it up on my own without asking for help and mess it up.
Thanks in advance.
Bob

Date: 03/26/14 04:47
Re: Yaesu FT-270R - How to set up for scanning?
Author: kgmontreal

Set scan delay to "busy".

KG

Date: 03/26/14 09:28
Author: TCnR

The software and cable make the whole thing work very well. Without those it is a game of chance, which button to hit and whether it's doing what you wanted. After loading a few frequencies hold the arrow key down for two beeps and you're all set.

btw, they don't transmit int he RR band unless a modification is performed. The digital 'number' for anything outside of the HAM band is hard grounded.

If needed I'll try to post a line or two from the S/W package later today.

Date: 03/26/14 14:10
Author: biff

Using the included manual, if you want to use the set mode adjustments (p. 68) you can not do it when scanning. Page 40 will get the needed info for memory bank scanning. The CD is the best way to program your frequencies into banks.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/26/14 14:21

There's also quite a bit on the www about programming Yaesu's. Also a Yahoo Group or two.

But the software makes it really easy and records the file for review before a trip.

Date: 03/27/14 11:51
Author: mopac1978

I have the RT systems software with my FR270. I have the AAR channels programmed in on the corresponding radio memory storage channels. I use the frequency banks for a given RR, i.e., bank 1 for UP, bank 2 for BNSF, etc. Once I build a file for a given area, I save it. Then I create different files for different areas I travel to, the chief difference between the files is based on what channels I lock out and which I turn on. Makes it real easy to change the radio to match the local frequencies in use as I travel. And in any event, if I find out locally that a different channel is in use, I can easily access it because the radio already has that channel stored.

Date: 03/27/14 13:31

Interesting strategy. Basically enable and disable from the whole library.

Date: 04/02/14 22:44
Author: WP707

I do something similar, with both my scanners, and my Ham radio.

I divide up my travel areas into zones, and one scanner is set up for different services in different banks (easy to do when you have a 1,000 channel scanner and computer software). 1 bank is CHP, another bank is local law, another local fire, another railroads, etc.

Having more than 1 scanner makes it easy to dedicate one radio to railroad only while using another scanner for police & fire...

With my Yaesu FT-60 ham radio, and hundreds of ham radio repeaters in California, I set up 8 banks for various regional zones, and 2 banks for general police & fire scanning. The 2 police / fire banks in the Ham radio (plus 2 other scanners) give me three radios scanning all at once. The ham radio will receive all the standard police /fire bands, but transmit only in the ham bands..

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0533 seconds