Home Open Account Help 273 users online

Railfan Technology > I Need A Basic Digital Photo Book

Date: 03/29/14 12:16
I Need A Basic Digital Photo Book
Author: sig292

I hope this question isn't considered too off topic, but I could use a little help in choosing a book on basic digital photography.
I want to supplement (and perhaps eventually supplant) my slide photography with digital. I want to buy a book with basic introductory, for beginners, stating from the absolute first step information.
Amazon has hundreds of titles but they all seem to have more chapters on technique, such as lighting, exposure & composition. The creative aspect of photography I'm sure I can carry over from my slide work. Can someone recommend a book that has information on understanding and getting started in digital that doesn't also serve as a photography 101 course?
Assume I'm starting with zero understanding of digital photography, that isn't very far from the truth!

Thanks,
Ken Gear

Date: 03/29/14 13:11
Re: I Need A Basic Digital Photo Book
Author: chico

Ken,

I can't directly answer your question about "the book" of digital photography.

But, If you'll permit, I'll add my 02 as a person who like everyone before and after had to make that conversion. And based on my experience, I'd say, just do it.

I know, simple to say but I think it's possible to over think the question. As you pointed out, the books you see have all the exposure and other technical stuff, but, really, your needs are a camera and a computer.

So, assuming you are equipped with a PC and some photo editing software, just get your camera (SLR or point and shoot) and start hitting the exposure button.

The rest we CAN help you through as you go.

As for "the book" try google or the search function on trainorders.com and search digital photography tutorials.

Save the book money.

Best wishes,
Chico

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/14 13:17 by chico.

Date: 03/29/14 13:18
Author: TCnR

Or Google until you find somebody who put some info on the web:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

Date: 03/29/14 14:45
Author: RustyRayls

Amazon.com has the gamut of digital photography books from beginning to advanced. You might even find one for your actual camera model. I started out with a book for my actual camera model (Minolta 7D) and just applied basic photography knowledge from my experience with film.

Old Bob out in Lost Wages

Date: 03/29/14 19:53
Author: TrackOne

Go to YouTube and search for digital photography. You will find excellent videos explaining every aspect of digital photography. Start with basic material and when you have questions, just key in your questions.
TOM

Date: 03/29/14 21:48
Author: wa4umr

Basically film and digital start off about the same... composition and exposure. If you get those right you've got great start. The real magic happens on the computer. Save your picture in the camera in the RAW format. You can make some great corrections with the RAW files. The software that comes with your camera should be a good starting point. You can correct colors, exposure, and composition on the computer. After you get used to working with that software you'll probably want to upgrade a better program... one with more features and options. Adobe Photoshop Elements is under $100 and has a lot of features. If you want to get really serious, shop around for the full blown version of Photoshop. I have an older version and it's really great. I just can't justify the cost for the latest version.

That's a real thumbnail suggestion. If you still want a book you might look for one of the "Dummy's" books. Not great and sometimes they lack some details but still they have some good info in them.

Good luck.

John

Date: 03/30/14 00:34
Author: norm1153

Like others have already said, you are probably ahead of the game as per other newbies to digital photography. Mostly, it will indeed be what you do with it on your PC.

As far as Ken Rockwell goes, you might take his website with a grain or two of salt.

Also, you can browse forums at www.dpreview.com for a lot of pointers, and links.

Date: 03/30/14 08:06
Author: TCnR

The more he writes the more he contradicts himself, but the general topics are worthy and easily compared with other discussions. I like dpreview as well, when they get around to a specific topic they cover it very well.

-------------------------------------------------------
> As far as Ken Rockwell goes, you might take his
> website with a grain or two of salt.
>
> Also, you can browse forums at www.dpreview.com
> for a lot of pointers, and links.

Date: 03/31/14 09:40
Author: bioyans

I will echo what the others have said. I also like the Cambridge in Colour series of tutorials that are online.

The biggest thing you will need to start with up front, is knowing the main difference between the types of sensors. Most fall either into APS-C (smaller sensor), or "Full Frame" (same size sensor as a traditional 35mm negative). Each has its pros and cons. APS-C models tend to be cheaper, but have limitations. Full frame DSLR cameras are generally better in low light conditions, but tend to cost more. You can use "full frame" lenses on APS-C bodies, but usually not the other way around (with the exception, I believe, of some Nikons which "sense" the APS-C type lens and reduce the usable area of the sensor accordingly).

Once you have an idea what type of camera best suits your needs, then it becomes a matter of looking at the many publications available for specific cameras, that offer an "in depth" description of the various features, and how they work.

Adobe also has tutorials online for their various photo processing software products. As others have stated, the bulk of your learning will come on the back end of the process, when you move the images to your computer.

I always keep a copy of "Photoshop Elements for Dummies" by my computer, as a reference when I have a specific question on how to do something. I just started using Adobe Lightroom 5, and I am finding I prefer it over Elements. I will definitely be picking up a reference book for that program as well.

Posted from Android

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/14 12:49 by bioyans.

Date: 04/05/14 15:03
Author: Arved

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The more he writes the more he contradicts
> himself, but the general topics are worthy and
> easily compared with other discussions.

"...this is a personal website, and never presented as fact. I enjoy making things up for fun..."
(http://www.kenrockwell.com/about.htm)

IOW, don't take him too seriously. If you want to know about Nikon stuff, you're better off reading Moose Peterson and Thom Hogan. If you want to know about Canon stuff, Bob Atkins seems to be the guy to read.

>I like
> dpreview as well, when they get around to a
> specific topic they cover it very well.

And there are some good guys in the forums there, too. After a while, you get to the point you can cull the wheat from the chaff. There's a lot of chaff, but it's about as good as I've found. Photocamel is another good forum.

> > As far as Ken Rockwell goes, you might take his
> > website with a grain or two of salt.
> >
> > Also, you can browse forums at www.dpreview.com
> > for a lot of pointers, and links.

Agreed.

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0715 seconds